Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

x635's First Trip To Phoenix, AZ

12 posts in this topic

This weekend, I took my first trip to Phoenix. Really nice city, and some very interesting apparatus and concepts.

Scottsdale (Snotsdale) was a really nice area!!!

In the Valley, they even have In-N-Out and plenty of Chipolte Mexican Grill locations to keep me full and satisfied. However, I must say that after LA and this, I'm actually a little In-N-Out/Chipolte burnt out.

70 of my photos from my 2 day trip can be seen here:

http://www.emtbravophotos.com/SpecFeat/X635PhoenixSep07.html

post-11-1189460848.jpg

post-11-1189460866.jpg

What did you think about the Ladder Tender (LT) concept out in Phoenix? For those of you who don't know, in Phoenix most truck companies have a 2nd piece of apparatus called the ladder tender, or just tender on for short. The ladder tender is equipped with everything a regular truck company would have...minus the ariel device. Most of them look like rescues to me. The way it was explained to me by a Captain out there; the ladder tender responds to all "non-structural" company assignments (ie. ems, extrication, co, dinner runs, etc.) which saves them wear and tear on their actual ladder truck...which in turn makes them last longer.

One thing I didn't like about Phoenix Fire Department. Let's say Station 33 houses Engine 33, Ladder 33, and Rescue 33 (Rescues are ambulances). If they take in an EMS run, the assignment would be E33/R33, but the staff for the ambulance would be 2 actual firefighters, detailed form either 33 Engine or 33 Truck. So when the ambulance is transporting, and the Engine clears and takes in an actual structural job, they could be 2 firefighters short...and be first due. Not good when your fighting fire in 110 degree weather.

Another interesting thing about fire departments in Arizona. Most firefighters and EMTs wear black brush gear for regular duty wear...on everything from EMS calls to extrications. Mainly because it is too hot to wear actual structural gear. In fact, Southwest Ambulance REQUIRES that all EMS units be equipped with brush gear for extrications.

It's a very interesting setup they've got going on in Phoenix. There were some things I liked, and some things I didn't like.

From what I understand, with this new Prop being voted on, if approved they're supposed to hire 100 new firefighters, and then the ambulances will be fully staffed without taking away from the engines. Some ambulances already are, including "peak time" units.

The Ladder tender concept was interesting, but I heard that the ladder tenders may be phased out or respond as a special unit with one man along with the ladder company.

They're very customer-service oriented, which I find very neat.

As for the brush gear, SoCal area departments do the same thing due to the heat.

The mid-mount engine and rear pump on their ALF Engines is an interesting concept. Although it has some drawbacks, it allows for a ton of space in the cab, virtually no noise, and ice-cold heavy duty roof mounted AC that's capable of going from 110F to 70F in 20 mins.

The Bronto Skylift (Ladder 9) is an awesome piece. I'm actually suprised more cities don't get one as a special unit. It's much more versatile then the typical aerial.

Also, they have moved into new shops, I believe where the Freightliner (?) dealer used to be on 19th Ave across from the Mack dealer.

I couldn't imagine fighting a fire in that heat.

Good shots, Seth. Too bad you couldn't wait a couple weeks, it'll be cooler plus I will be there.

Also, note in the photo the Braun ambulance on the Chevy 4500 chasis that is being lent to Phoenix as a demo unit for future ambulance specs.

Current ambulance manufacturer is Marque. Chasis is Ford E-350 Super Duty.n

Seth, great shots. Thanks for sharing.

Seth

is that a Pic of the old Rescue Hose Eng 85 NTFD i see there? . It looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Seth

is that a Pic of the old Rescue Hose Eng 85 NTFD i see there? . It looks like it is in pretty good shape.

Yes, it is. It's at the "Hall Of Flame" musueum in Phoenix, and it was fully restored to original condition in 1990 by Don Hale. The Hall Of Flame musuem is a MUST for any firefighter traveling through, they have the most amazing collection of fire apparatus and memoroblia I've ever seen.

I wish NTFD/SHFD held onto it! What a great classic it would have been for the department, but at least it's in a great home right now for the world to see.

post-11-1189540302.jpg

Seth:

Looks like a good trip.

I don't think it was mentioned, but an interesting shot of the rear crew area of the rig (SCBA brackets obviously missing).

Phoenix was one of the first to jump out-of-the box and remove the SCBA from the cab.

Not sure what you thought of it, but the concept is taking-on steam on the West Coast and may be part of upcoming NFPA revised standards?

Having been to Phoenix on several occasions, it is an impressive Department and was led by one of most innovative Chiefs (Bruno) that I have ever met (it is too bad what some out there have to say and/or treat him now...)

Thanks for sharing......

It's funny you mention that- I was going to say something because I really like that idea.

Los Angeles City FD also doesn't have SCBA's in their cabs.

post-11-1189540866.jpg

I'm a big believer in this concept. First of all, with the regular seatbelts, its hard to get into an SCBA with your seatbelt on, let alone get fastened. It allows the firefighter to securely sit fully in the seat.

On another level, it adds comfort. When you're responding to EMS calls, going to pick up dinner, or are enroute to anything, it's just more comfortable not having an SCBA or bracket poking into your back, or having to sit on the seat halfway.

Also, it adds room to the cab not having the SCBA's in the seats, making egress/exit a little easier.

post-11-1189541010.jpg

Phonenix also keeps what's in the cab at a minimum- and what's there is secured- so there's no chance of flying projectiles. Also note the roominess that the mid-mount engine gives the cab. It also dampens a lot of noise, so it's easier to communicate within the cab (the headpones are for emergency runs- it's still hard to hear and talk over the siren). The mid-mount engine is also much more open, allowing it to keep cooler in the dessert heat.

Another interesting note is the "Our Family Helping Your Family" lettering, which also appears on Stamford Fire-Rescue's apparatus.

As with most West Coast departments, they are light years ahead of us here on the East Coat. I think Brunacini was a great guy, although some dispute that. Most of the people who dispute it are lazy. Customer Service has a role in the fire service, and the way they intergrate it into their department's mission is admirable.

Pretty cool stuff...one question I have is what is the big rig with the #58 on it for? Looks like a mix between and engine, a tanker, and an ARFF unit...pretty long wheel base!

I think it is great to see what other jobs have and to learn how they work...everyone can learn from one another...as long as you pay attention.

Like the ad for smoke detectors painted right on the fire truck...innovative!

Seth, you got a lot of GREAT shots! Nice job!