Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blue lights on Ambulances?

44 posts in this topic

Some of the light shows rival Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Star Wars!

20y2? What section are you referring to that is two points for a light violation - I thought OLMMedic was right that it is an equipment violation under section 375?

Operating a motor vehicle with unauthorized colored lights (blue) is a violation of VTL 375.41(4B), which is indeed in the equipment section, but there are other violations in 375 that are point inducing, such as failure to dim high beams or illegal tints.

Operating a motor vehicle with unauthorized colored lights (blue) is a violation of VTL 375.41(4B), which is indeed in the equipment section, but there are other violations in 375 that are point inducing, such as failure to dim high beams or illegal tints.

so how is it that cars with the HID lights (the headlights that look blue) can get away w/ it? and please don't tell me cuz their technical term is "hyper-white."

If I were a town justice and a cop writes a coupon against my town's ambulance or FD for lights that are not even facing forward, after I dismiss the ticket, I would have a private conversation with the cop about wasting the court's time!

Mike

If I were a town justice and a cop writes a coupon against my town's ambulance or FD for lights that are not even facing forward, after I dismiss the ticket, I would have a private conversation with the cop about wasting the court's time!

Mike

lol, nice!

Mike

Don't blame the police for enforcing a law that is on the books, blame the NYS Legislature for coming up with a law that is too specifically written. As per NYS law the only vehicles that are authorized to have a rear facing blue light is a police vehicle, nothing else.

so how is it that cars with the HID lights (the headlights that look blue) can get away w/ it? and please don't tell me cuz their technical term is "hyper-white."

IF they are OEM and you can prove it, then you are good to go. If you are refering to the aftermarket 'blue HIDs' that some people have, that is written under the 'dazlling headlights' section, no this one.

Don't blame the police for enforcing a law that is on the books, blame the NYS Legislature for coming up with a law that is too specifically written. As per NYS law the only vehicles that are authorized to have a rear facing blue light is a police vehicle, nothing else.

We can thank, in part, FASNY and other organizations that thought if we let EVERYONE use blue lights to increase thier safety then we, the dumb jolly-vollies, would lose our cool blue lights.

If you don't believe me go back in time, roughly 3-4 years, and you can see all the write-ups in thier magazines and newsletters.

Same genius thinking that if we make volunteers have the same (or close to) training as career personnel, we would lose members.

I read articles like this in the bathroom for a reason - I can bash my head against the wall next to me...

We can thank, in part, FASNY and other organizations that thought if we let EVERYONE use blue lights to increase thier safety then we, the dumb jolly-vollies, would lose our cool blue lights.

If you don't believe me go back in time, roughly 3-4 years, and you can see all the write-ups in thier magazines and newsletters.

Same genius thinking that if we make volunteers have the same (or close to) training as career personnel, we would lose members.

I read articles like this in the bathroom for a reason - I can bash my head against the wall next to me...

I think it would be a great idea if all emergency vehicles had red and blur front and back, but just like everything else in NY, we are afraid of any change.

Well said 585. Nevermind training resources, issues, curriculum's, but let's sensationalize the threat against blue lights. Or tell departments not to comply with a new law that will protect their safety. I myself have a couple of magazine's I always keep in the bathroom, just in case I run out of paper.

585...I couldn't have said it better....

No argument there. I had no problem using the laws that were on the books when I wanted to stop a car that was suspicious. It usually resulted in finding a bigger prize.

But would that same officer that writes an ambulance for having a blue light on the back also write a Yonkers, Westchester County or Port Authority PD car for having a blue light on the front? I highly doubt it.

They were knowingly breaking the law as police departments for years and continue to do so with front-facing blues. Shouldn't a department that is suppose to enforce ALL laws comply with ALL laws too? So before anyone gets on a soapbox, remember that cops are also given discretion to enforce the laws. Otherwise, granny using a walker, crossing in the middle of the street instead of at the corner would have to get a summons too!

Mike

No argument there. I had no problem using the laws that were on the books when I wanted to stop a car that was suspicious. It usually resulted in finding a bigger prize.

But would that same officer that writes an ambulance for having a blue light on the back also write a Yonkers, Westchester County or Port Authority PD car for having a blue light on the front? I highly doubt it.

They were knowingly breaking the law as police departments for years and continue to do so with front-facing blues. Shouldn't a department that is suppose to enforce ALL laws comply with ALL laws too? So before anyone gets on a soapbox, remember that cops are also given discretion to enforce the laws. Otherwise, granny using a walker, crossing in the middle of the street instead of at the corner would have to get a summons too!

Mike

No one is saying that any cop would ever write a blue light ticket..... :blink:

Next time you are approaching a New York State Trooper who has a car stopped at night take a good look at the

Emergency Lights off in the distance. You will notice the Blue first, then Amber, and LAST Red.

When you see the Trooper remember to SLOW DOWN too! :P

Especially if it's 3K59! lol

3K59 - Pride of SP Cortlandt! Putting fear into the motoring public daily.

3K59 - Pride of SP Cortlandt! Putting fear into the motoring public daily.

I've seen it on SP Somers cars if I'm westbound on Hardscrabble Road on the 684 overpass. That one rear facing blue is the first one I saw.