Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Future Fireman

Guy's your not going to believe this, but...

13 posts in this topic

Guy's your not going to believe this, but... believe it or not I lack self-confidence in pretty much everything aside from weight lifting and my future career choice. All my tests and quizzes I take in school I keep thinking that I failed it, when I really got a 70-90 for a grade. I can't give a speech in front of my class, and I keep questioning whether my friends actually care about me or not.

Mike

ADVICE NEEDED!!!!!!

Edited by Future Fireman

Are you in college yet??? Five beers did me good!!

Seriouslt, what do you need help with? I'm not really following your question.

First off, don't worry about it. While that type of flip-flopping isn't wanted in a politician, it's pretty much normal for adolescencts (and boy did I do my share!!). Things will change, and you'll look at this period of time and say to yourself, "What a dork!". You friends like you for you. But mainly like I said, don't worry about it.

The true friends are the ones that stick by you know matter what...You need to have a little more confidence in yourself and your abilities, but dont let it go to your head! If you know what you want in life, go for it...dont hesitate or second guess yourself, just focus on your goals and you will reach them.

Above all, you will always have family in the fire service, so treat them well and remember who helped you climb your ladder so you dont step on them on the way up.

Otherwise, its normal growing pains brother, dont let it bother you. ;)

And dont do drugs.

Moose.

ya. I have the same problem.

if somebody thats a "freind" pisses me off, I drum, or go ATV riding, lol, i have actually gone and just sat at my station and done truck checks.

ya. I have the same problem.

if somebody thats a "freind" pisses me off, I drum, or go ATV riding, lol, i have actually gone and just sat at my station and done truck checks.

Im a drummer too!!! Best form of stress relief going. Just take a breath, and beat the snot out of the drums!!

Hey...better to be pissed off then pissed on.

Keep your chins up Jr. Brothers!!!

Moose

Future...you can't be that amiss to ask such a personal question on an open forum like this. So give yourself some credit. Now I know why you took a post I made as a joke so seriously. Worry about your future and study hard. It isn't always easy and you may have to find some extra help on some subjects but your education now is what you'll fall back on in the future. Find something you like and work at it and use it as a motivational tool. Just do yourself one favor...if you want to work as a firefighter or police officer in the future and you have the common sense to go to college...get a degree in anything other then fire science or criminal justice, do something you can do while waiting on lists and can still do on the side when you get hired.

As far as your friends...you will learn when you look back at some of them someday that they weren't really as close and trusting as you thought they were. It happens to everyone and if it didn't you wouldn't learn how to choose "friends" from "acquaintances" from those whom stay an arms length distance.

Everybody, thanks, for the advice. Quite honestly, at this point in my life, I'm really not sure who I CAN trust. Unfortunately, I can't ride off my stress, so generally, if I'm on a vacation somewhere on the water, to me, well if I can get out on a boat and just look out and see the Ocean or the Lake, to me, well, that's relaxing. And what stinks is I can't do it anymore due to summer vacation over.

Anyways, ALS, you recommend getting a degree other than fire science. Would it be possible for me to get fire science as a major and something else as a minor degree. Quite honestly, I'm not sure about a back-up career. Maybe construction, computer nerd, etc...

Mike

P.S. I would never do drugs. I took the D.A.R.E. program! Unless of course, they're weight loss drugs. :lol: 225 lbs. yeah i need to lose some weight.

Anyways, ALS, you recommend getting a degree other than fire science. Would it be possible for me to get fire science as a major and something else as a minor degree. Quite honestly, I'm not sure about a back-up career. Maybe construction, computer nerd, etc...

About other majors you want to look into... there are a bunch... I'll just list a few you might be interested.

You seem fairly down to earth and hands on...

If you really want to be daring you could go for a fire protection engineering degree, if not there's also... Building Construction Management, Management, Computer Science, any kind of engineering, Computer Graphics Technology... the list goes on and on.

Yes it is possible. I'm majoring in Fire Science right now and I'm thinking about picking up a minor in Criminal Justice, Public Affairs, Occupational Safety and Health, or something along those lines, but you could really find a minor in anything under the sun. Or you could minor in Fire Science... Theres a college out there somewhere with anything you'd want, you just have to put in the effort to find it.

I went to College for Fire Science. Started off at SUNY Rockland CC and got my A.A.S. in Fire Protection Technology. After that I transftered to the University of New Haven and got my BS in Fire/Arson Investigation with a minor in Criminal Justice. I tihnk there are a lot more options if you go for Fire Protection Engineering. I was going to take that but I suck in Math.

Good luck..

Chris