Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

Norwalk Engine 1 delivery photos

17 posts in this topic

Sorry for the delay...E1 has been in for over a week but I have been on vacation and unable to get shots of it. These are courtesy of my apparatus maintenance guys.

post-4500-1190508904.jpg

post-4500-1190508914.jpg

post-4500-1190508922.jpg

You guys went back to Red, huh...I had to look at your site again, cause I thought your rigs were white! Interesting, any specific reason???

The best way I can say it, and without offending any old timers from my job, over the past few years, "traditionalists" have become key decision makers in Norwalk. This included a push to go back to black turnout gear, leather helmets and finally red trucks. I have mixed opinions on the red, as the rest of our fleet will remain white and will only change thru attrition. Don't rule out a tiller in Norwalk...these "traditionalists" are making that push currently and we are in the chief of operations' ear about it and he is listening! Next on the slate for replacement is first Rescue 2 then the year after Ladder 1, (both to be ordered in the new color scheme).

Nice rig...BUT.........

I cant get use to it. I am use to white in Norwalk, its just not right!!!

When will it be in service?

Edited by nutty1

Nice rig...BUT.........

I cant get use to it. I am use to white in Norwalk, its just not right!!!

When will it be in service?

It should be in service soon, as old E1 is a mess. The thing that I think is not right is the bell...I couldn't tell you where that idea came from!

Maybe I'm an old fashioned traditionalist, but I like it it's a sharp looking rig!!! Good luck with it!

Nice Rig , Best of Luck.

Looks like a Spartan cab ?

Nice Rig , Best of Luck.

Looks like a Spartan cab ?

It is a spartan Cab

Not that often you find a bell on a brand new engine these days. The red is going to take getting used to....but its still a nice looking rig.

I have to be honest, my expectations were particularly low of the engine, as I am a huge fan of Pierce and Seagraves, but I am pleasantly suprised, I think it looks good. The bell was an idea of an old-timer that was on the apparatus committee. He has deep roots in his volunteer company, and having come from one myself, I can see where his thinking was when he pushed for a bell...it brings a little tradition to an era where technology is what it is all about.

Nice rig and good looking photos. Thanks for sharing.-Duane

I love It. The change to white was by order of a Mayor. I'm glad the Firefighters had a say about the switch back to red, dark red at that. nice touch with the bell. Our rigs in New Canaan are bright red. That happened by accident. At first I was not fond of it, but I remembered it was an old color Seagrave used in the 20's. When I was a kid I remember the rigs in Norwalk were dark red. Nice job. I will get used to it.

I had a chance to photograph this engine this morning, with special thanks to Joe, Scott, and Alan for hooking me up. Photos can be seen on http://www.emtbravo.com

Although I am a Norwalk White fan, I must say that this engine looks good in red!!

For those who don't know:

Norwalk is appox. 45 minutes from NYC, on the Long Island Sound off I-95 in Southern Fairfield County, CT. They serve a very diverse city, with a large mix of income levels. Also, a very large area of diverse residential, commerical, industrial and institutional facilities, as well as several major roadways.

They have a really, really great and talented apparatus maintainence staff, that has built several custom apparatus for the department using a mix of aqquired chasis and bodies. They operate from a former transit bus garage opposite the Volk Central Fire Station (Sta 2) across I-95. The spacious facilty houses a large, well equipped shop as well as housing for Norwalk's antiques, and special operations vehicles.

As far as the lightbar for the light buffs who noticed, the Federal Signal Aerodynic lightbar is preffered by NFD because, quite frankly, LED's can be a little too bright, and at night can cause vision problems. It's also hard to see the LED's in sunlight, and the combination of LED flashers on the front, rear, and sides with the halogen lightbar has proven effective for them. That's what I am told. And it can be proven, just drive by a new CT State Trooper car with an Whelen LED lightbar, and it's blinding- almost contradicting what a lightbar is supposed to do. Works for them.

I had a chance to photograph this engine this morning, with special thanks to Joe, Scott, and Alan for hooking me up. Photos can be seen on http://www.emtbravo.com

Although I am a Norwalk White fan, I must say that this engine looks good in red!!

For those who don't know:

Norwalk is appox. 45 minutes from NYC, on the Long Island Sound off I-95 in Southern Fairfield County, CT. They serve a very diverse city, with a large mix of income levels. Also, a very large area of diverse residential, commerical, industrial and institutional facilities, as well as several major roadways.

They have a really, really great and talented apparatus maintainence staff, that has built several custom apparatus for the department using a mix of aqquired chasis and bodies. They operate from a former transit bus garage opposite the Volk Central Fire Station (Sta 2) across I-95. The spacious facilty houses a large, well equipped shop as well as housing for Norwalk's antiques, and special operations vehicles.

As far as the lightbar for the light buffs who noticed, the Federal Signal Aerodynic lightbar is preffered by NFD because, quite frankly, LED's can be a little too bright, and at night can cause vision problems. It's also hard to see the LED's in sunlight, and the combination of LED flashers on the front, rear, and sides with the halogen lightbar has proven effective for them. That's what I am told. And it can be proven, just drive by a new CT State Trooper car with an Whelen LED lightbar, and it's blinding- almost contradicting what a lightbar is supposed to do. Works for them.

Thanks Seth! The pictures came out really nice! I put an email out to all of our members linking them to the shots.

Thanks Seth! The pictures came out really nice! I put an email out to all of our members linking them to the shots.

Thank YOU, Joe! I wish the photos had come out better, I was a little off today as my mind was somewhere else. I'm becoming a lighting snob of sorts. But I'll be back up for a visit when it goes into service, so I'll make it up then.

I should mention if it hasn't already that Engine 1 is first due to the Norwalk section of the Merrit Parkway. So, it will have extrication equipment in the rear compartment so they can begin extrication at a pin job until the Rescue can get there.

It's also interesting to note that Norwalk Hospital has changed their paint/lettering scheme with the delivery of their fifth Lifeline ambulance, a 2007 Ford E-450 SD/Lifeline Superliner.

And I'm a fan of the bell too....I believe Yonkers has bells on their ALF engines if I'm not mistaken......it is a unique sound, and it is good for when going through a crowd or anywhere there is a lot of people where a siren would be overkill.

Thank YOU, Joe! I wish the photos had come out better, I was a little off today as my mind was somewhere else. I'm becoming a lighting snob of sorts. But I'll be back up for a visit when it goes into service, so I'll make it up then.

I should mention if it hasn't already that Engine 1 is first due to the Norwalk section of the Merrit Parkway. So, it will have extrication equipment in the rear compartment so they can begin extrication at a pin job until the Rescue can get there.

It's also interesting to note that Norwalk Hospital has changed their paint/lettering scheme with the delivery of their fifth Lifeline ambulance, a 2007 Ford E-450 SD/Lifeline Superliner.

And I'm a fan of the bell too....I believe Yonkers has bells on their ALF engines if I'm not mistaken......it is a unique sound, and it is good for when going through a crowd or anywhere there is a lot of people where a siren would be overkill.

Another note...Norwalk Police also changed thier color scheme to black/white/gold on their crown vics this year...a trifecta!