Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Auxillary Driving Lights On Emergency Vehicles

7 posts in this topic

Something I've always wondered is why you don't see more auxillary driving lights on apparatus? Typically, most vehicles have the standard chasis OEM lighting, and these big firetrucks have sealed beam headlights meant for a car.

We respond in all kinds of weather, in all lighting conditions, whether it be a city street or country road. I'm wondering why more fog lamps, PIAA lights, Hella lights, for example, aren't spec'd more on apparatus? I think they should be standard.

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about. Credit to Mahopac Falls FD for for being one of the departments spec'ing this to increase driver visibilty:

post-11-1191432764.jpg

post-11-1191432773.jpg

Similar to 19-2-1 my department had a rig with the aux lights under the front bumper. After replacing them several times we gave up and removed them.

Similar to 19-2-1 my department had a rig with the aux lights under the front bumper. After replacing them several times we gave up and removed them.

And that seems to be a common problem...so what don't department's spec them into the bumper or an alternative heavy duty or flexible housing?

I think the manufacturers in general use just enough headlight to meet minimum FMVSS specs. Some of the Freightliners have very good composite headlights compared to the other rigs I've seen. As far as "aftermarket/accessory lights go, I think drivers would be too tempted to use them all at once, and cause problems for other vehicals on the road. How many times have you asked a rig following you to dim his headlights? Or asked to have them shut off some of the rear strobes when you're parked behind them?

I have yet to drive an apparatus that has great headlights / lighting to the front. Our Engine has two "driving lights" as you can see in the photo. They're the ones mounted above the windshield. We love them at night in the backroads where there is no streetlights.

Also, Engine 118 has two driving lights in the bumper. I haven't driven that rig at night so I can't say if they help or not.

post-34-1191477105.jpg

post-34-1191477259.jpg

Edited by Remember585

On our heavy rescue (Mack MR688P) we have fog lamps in the front which provide a fair amount of road lighting especially when trying to navigate around craters aka-potholes. And daytime running lights were are also a plus with regards to visibility. The problem with the fog lamps, even though they are heavy duty construction, is that they have to be adjusted and re-tightend weekly. There is no way around that. I have tried everything from loc-tite to silicone gasket maker to no avail. What was an awesome addition when we spec'd it out was rubberized extension marker lights/turn signals with three on each side. They give mototrists a heads up when turning or changing lanes much better than what the OEM provides. And on tight streets or navigating around double parked cars it allows you to give easier and better clearance judgement. And if you hypothetically misjudge your clearance on the sides they are pretty flexible. These lights are a particular bonus especially at night. Some of the NYPD ESU trucks flipped the rubberized lights to an upward angle which I think makes it allot easier to glance quickly to clear an object or a vehicle.

I wish pierce would build something like this recessed into the bumpers maybe in the way of an 80/100 watt lamp to be used at the drivers discrection.