Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Yonkers PD Question: Handicapped perp ride via bus?

7 posts in this topic

Late yesterday afternoon, a handicapped perp was arrested on Elm Street and required transport to the city jail via an ambulance.

Who pays the ambulance bill? The perp or the city???

Thanks and Happy Columbus Day

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

:angry: THE TAX PAYERS :angry:

Just another bill to add to the taxpayers! Same thing as frivolous law suits in prison and health care. You'd be surprised what ailments they have in prison which they wouldnt have had outside. Some states charge them a fee for both now, cuts down on the lawsuits big time. I was still answering them 3-4 years after I left that service. Of course they were looking for money for nothin!

Thanks for the replies.

Disgraceful that the city pays the ambulance bill for transport to central booking. It should be no different then when a perp has their auto towed and imponed after committing a crime.

I understand your plight, as a Yonkers taxpayer that is. The ride to "CB" in an ambulance, although not medically necessary ever, is usually done out of safety for the officers or in a few rare cases when an arrestee cannot fit into the back of a caged police rmp. I transported a number of "1 under's" in the ambulance when I worked at Empress, including a very large man that fired a shot at his daughter's boyfriend, up in the Homefield section of Yks. I believe the fat on his arms disturbed his shot and that is why he missed...we didn't even take him out of the bus at CB, they printed him there and we brought him straight to Valhalla where they have accommodations for the obese. As well, we took a few EDP's that were also arrestees up to Valhalla that needed to be strapped down so they wouldn't damage the cruisers. It is a working relationship that is necessary at times. Although, it is unfair to the taxpayers, cause it takes a bus out of service for an extended amount of time, lessening the available resources that are already limited at least on the EMS side of the table.

Perhaps they should be given a real reason to ride to CB in a bus....j/k (but not really)