Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

The Great Jack-O-Lantern Blaze

11 posts in this topic

The Great Jack-O-Lantern blaze begins this coming weekend, actually last night to be exact...ooops! This is an excellent event for everyone. It takes place in Croton-on-Hudson at the Historic Van Cortlandt Manor (located near the Shoprite). This event showcases 1000's of pumpkins cut into all different shapes and such and is just plain amazing! Check it out for yourself, and if you have kids, join the Historic Hudson Valley Society, gives you some ideas of things to do and places to visit throughout the year! I will be doing some photographing/videoing of this event and of the other sites and will create links and post them hear when they are prepared!

Link to Historic Hudson Valley Society:

Historic Hudson Valley

Link to the Blaze Page direct:

The Great Jack-O-Lantern Blaze...Oooooo!

MFY!

Edited by Oswegowind

For anyone who never went, you gotta see this!!!

I went last night, and it was very cool!

Some new stuff this year...

Tickets are sold online and delivered by EMail, (or by phone with a $2.00 surcharge each),and, yeah, they are selling out quickly!!!!

Edited by jack10562

Tried going last year and couldn't get tickets. Did better this year and I am going this weekend.

GOOD LUCK PARKING! I drive by every night either on the way to work or to the gym and it is a madhouse!

CPD has got to love the O/T it's creating though!!! I wonder if they need any field communications....hmmm.....

We went last night!!! So much fun, the kid loved it. I will post a few photos here, but you can see the rest at:

My photos, once at the homepage, just click on the title at the top and that will bring you into the album. As well, if it is the Croton FD's idea, the pre-placed fire extinguishers marked with glow sticks was a great idea. And the new Croton PD car is nice...Ford Explorer (I think!). 4,000 pumpkins, of which 500 are real and the rest are fun-pkins which are styrofoam look alikes! We actually purchased one for display at our home!

We went last night!!! So much fun, the kid loved it. I will post a few photos here, but you can see the rest at:

My photos, once at the homepage, just click on the title at the top and that will bring you into the album. As well, if it is the Croton FD's idea, the pre-placed fire extinguishers marked with glow sticks was a great idea. And the new Croton PD car is nice...Ford Explorer (I think!). 4,000 pumpkins, of which 500 are real and the rest are fun-pkins which are styrofoam look alikes! We actually purchased one for display at our home!

Nice photos!

Technical info about the photos...It was dark and I didn't want to use a flash. I set the frame speed to 0.8, or 4/5ths of a second (80/100's). (on sunny days I use a lens hood and 1/4000th of a second frame speed). I used the standard canon 18/35 lens and for closeups I used my canon efs 70-300 digital lens with built in image stabilization. Held up the line a little at times, had to stand real still or the frames would come out blurry (as did about half-that I discarded) Took a total of 220 shots. Once again, Thank God for digital cameras, couldn't imagine what that would have cost in film!

I'm going Thursday night with Kris and friends of ours. Looking foward to it, especially after reading all these positive reviews!

I was there last night myself with the family. It was very, very cool. I can only imagine how long it takes to setup the whole thing.

Kudos to the people behind this amazing display!

Don't forget to check out Legend weekend down in Sleepy Hollow. Historic Hudson Valley puts on a good show down there too.