Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sr71

The Volunteer Companies Of NYC

21 posts in this topic

I was looking around fdny trucks, and in the special units section it lists several volunteer departments that reside in the city, and this got me wondering, How many out of these companies are still around? how do they get along with the fdny? and what are there response areas? If one of these Depts goes Defunct does the fdny backfill?

here are the company names

Metropolitan Fire association

Aviation Hose 3

Edgewater park VFD

Gerritsen Beach VFD

West Hamilton Beach VFD

Roxbury Point VFD

Point Breeze VFD

Oceanic H&L Co.1

Richmond engine Co.1

thanks

sr71

im not sure but i think metropolitan fire assosiation is a buff organization.avation 3 was in a money scandel and i really dont even think they exist anymore.

You missed one. Broad Channel VFD is still operating in Queens.

You missed one. Broad Channel VFD is still operating in Queens.

yea i forgot that one

Ive asked some guys who work in the city and they dont think much of them.

They primarily buff calls that are in the district of the particular FDNY house.

Aviation is pretty much bye bye, especially now after that little scandal. As far as how they get along with the FDNY, depends on who you ask.

Gerritsen Beach is in the southwest Brooklyn, just east of Knapp Street.

West Hamilton Beach is a small part of Howard Beach, just East of E-331. It's a pretty decent ride for 331 and 173 to get into that area when a box goes out. They run an engine, a brush truck, and an ambulance.

Broad Channel is in between Howard Beach and Rockaway. They run two engines, a small boat and I think 2 ambulances.

Richmond and Oceanic are both out in SI. They are the only departments dispatched by FDNY. We activate their pagers and whistles. They then call us and get the info. They were there before the FDNY established a presence, as were WHB, BC and the Rockaway vollies(Point Breeze, Rock Point and Roxbury).

Edgewater Park is in a little section of the Bronx east of 72 Engine. We call it Tiny Town.

They run 2 mini pumpers.

We don't backfill in those areas, and since the areas they protect are relatively quiet and kinda distant from current FDNY assets, I don't see the department putting any houses over there in the future. West Hamilton and Broad Channel are out on Cross Bay Boulevard quite regularly fundraising. I hope that helps out.

Almost forgot, all of the vollie departments except Oceanic and Richmond are dispatched on their own frequencies, and operate on the same, however, most of them can come up on our frequencies, or at least I have only heard West Hamilton and Broad Channel come up on Queens.

Edited by JBE

"We call it Tiny Town"......................??????????????????????????????

Let me say something, JBE, don't know who you are, or what your motive is, but......no one calls Edgewater, "Tiny Town".

Don't know where you get the idea to call it that,or what it is you're trying to define, but "Tiny Town" has never been used as a way to define Edgewater.

I've grown up in the neighborhood around there and live there now, and I've NO IDEA, what you're talking about. Don't live in Edgewater but you've gotta come up with a better rationale...............

Surprised at you JBE, usually love your posts......................................but here, you're out of line

Let me say something, JBE, don't know who you are, or what your motive is, but......no one calls Edgewater, "Tiny Town".

Don't know where you get the idea to call it that,or what it is you're trying to define, but "Tiny Town" has never been used as a way to define Edgewater.

I've grown up in the neighborhood around there and live there now, and I've NO IDEA, what you're talking about. Don't live in Edgewater but you've gotta come up with a better rationale...............

Surprised at you JBE, usually love your posts......................................but here, you're out of line

You're getting bent out of shape over someone calling an area with tiny homes and tiny streets Tiny Town? Jeez...

Motive? Lighten up man.

Motive? Lighten up man.

Yea bro, Its not that serious

One of my colleagues lives there and has referred to it as Tiny Town. I think you're getting a little bent over nothing. In other words, calm yourself.

I was looking around fdny trucks, and in the special units section it lists several volunteer departments that reside in the city, and this got me wondering, How many out of these companies are still around? how do they get along with the fdny? and what are there response areas? If one of these Depts goes Defunct does the fdny backfill?

here are the company names

Metropolitan Fire association

MFA is a fire explorer post in Staten Island, and has a 1980 Mack engine and tower ladder.

Aviation Hose 3

Heard through the rumor mill that aviation has been cleared, and was able to come up with reciepts for everything, but again, just a rumor. Also heard that they were getting or got a shed up, and would be running again soon, but cant confirm this.

Edgewater park VFD

Dont know anything about them.

Gerritsen Beach VFD

They have a fairly new engine, but from talking to a member there, they dont go out that much, although they do run quite a few EMS runs, and get along with the city company that is 1st due.

West Hamilton Beach VFD

I'm a fairly new member of WHB, and so far, from what I can tell, we get along with 331/173. Just a correction, we have 2 ambulances.

Broad Channel VFD

We run in with them on a few boxes, and get along with them pretty good, dont know how they get along with the city, but where they are, the closest companies are a pretty good treck.

Roxbury VFD

Rockaway Point

Point Breeze VFD

Those 3 are in a gated community out in the Rockaways, with the closest engine company being E-329, which is a pretty decent hike. I believe that all 3 companies work together. Couple of those guys were in fire school with me, and were pretty decent guys.

Oceanic H&L Co.1

Dont know much about Oceanic, other than they have a nice Mack engine and an OLD brush rig

Richmond engine Co.1

I have a couple of personal friends that are in Richmond. They are pretty busy from what I understand. As for how they get along with the city, it depends on who you ask.

thanks

sr71

My father belonged to West Hamilton Beach VFD for years. He never said anything about not getting along with FDNY...but we never really talked that much. I heard that they were used for rehab and overhaul? Maybe I'm wrong.

I will say one thing about West Hamilton, they sure do get a lot of running out of that brush rig. That, and they have come a long way since the first time I saw their firehouse, a little two bay house adjacent to their present home, with I think one or two Engines. I didn't know they had the second bus.

Uh, have you SEEN the streets and houses? It's called "tiny-town" because sometimes CARS have problems fitting down the streets; hence why they run 2 mini-pumpers: E72 would probably bet wedged between two houses that are separated by a "street."

Edited by WolfEMT

As of a two weeks ago, aviation still had a small foundation. I'm not so sure they'll even be able to put anything up on it though. It looks pretty rough.

Have to admit, with the new development they are putting up in Aviations neck of the woods, might be interesting to see FDNY put at least an engine down there. No offense to partyrock, but that is a looooooong haul for 96 Engine to get down there.

Uh, have you SEEN the streets and houses? It's called "tiny-town" because sometimes CARS have problems fitting down the streets; hence why they run 2 mini-pumpers: E72 would probably bet wedged between two houses that are separated by a "street."

Tinytown or not.... the fact is the streets are extremely narrow and curvey, no one can dispute that! And as for 72 getting stuck, I'd say thats a pretty safe bet considering I've heard of 20A getting stuck....

Edgewater Park was just at the Westchester fire Training Center doing some training a few weeks ago. so they are alive and well.

Absolutely right JBE. Allegedly its possible to fall asleep while responding to the end of the point. As bad as our run is, 94/48 and 64/47 are almost twice as far.

You're right e92l44, I've certainly never heard it called Tiny Town. Edgewater has always been called much worse names.