Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HFD23

Hartsdale, Greenville, Scarsdale 2nd alarm plans

14 posts in this topic

Rumor has it that Hartsdale and Greenville will be implimenting a new 2nd alarm responce plan. the plan now is if hartsdale requests a 2nd alarm in addition to hartsdale's 2 engs and 1 truck the 2nd alarm units are FFD 174 and GFD ladder 4, the new plan calls for scarsdale to be included responding with 1 ENg designated the FAST unit. this would follow the yonkers plan of 4 engs 2 trucks the 4th due eng being the FAST truck... i think its a good idea and can;t wait to see if it is implimented.

Will be interesting to see.....Nice to see departments working together like this

It seems that when any of the Greenburgh departments request a "2nd alarm", it's really more of a 1st alarm/working fire equivalent. Another engine would make sense, but like you said, it's more of a 4 and 2 "all hands" type thing.

deffinatly just like the 4 and 2 1st alarm of most normal cites of larger districts aside from one must take into account hartsdale runs Eng 170 at full staffing is 3 paid FF and 1 officer eng 169 usually has 2 or 3 depends on the deputy, becauyse some prefer the Tower to repspond with 2 FF and then leave 2 ff on Eng 169 while otehrs Favor the 3 FF on 169 and 1 FF on the tower ladder. this is at full staffing which at times could be even lower thus even the 4 and 2 is still alot lower then that of yonkers or FDNY. So the more man power the better and this proves the need for the volunteers in these districts or else M/a calls would increase even greater.

So basically depending on the manpower, the number of rigs to the scene (including mutual aid) is not necessarily indicative of the size/scope of the job in Greenburg. Good to know. Thanks!

I think this sounds like an excellent idea, so long as the procedures are correctly followed. I think Yonkers system is great and seems to work well for them, last Eng is the FAST Eng, and everything else falls into place. They are all carrer houses, so as soon as the 2nd alarm is requested, they're getting on the road, should work great. This way, the IC looks at the incident and knows exactly what he has available at his fingertips, and as soon as he makes that request, he'll have the 2nd alarm companies there in no time. We (Buhanan) have something to that effect, but on a volly basis. If either Buchanan, Montrose or Verplanck get a poss. 10-75, confirmed 10-75, or any structural-related call, the remaining 2 depts. go on stand-by. It works great, because we all know what the other Depts. have as far as equipment and we even train together. When Montrose had the double-fatal fire on Francis Dr. in August, thier IC(2273) knew right away he was going to need an additional Eng company. He requested Buchanan and we were there w/ENG-161 and a full crew in about 2 minutes. So for Hartsdale, Greenville and Scarsdale, who are staffed 24-7, the system should work excellent. BFD1054 P.S. HFD211, if this goes into place, hopefully you can let us all know how it works!

A full crew for E161 only consists of TWO people, correct? Do others respond in their cars?

to answer your question Remembe585(642), the seating capacity on E-161 is 3, including the driver. When we are called M/A, all other firefighters respond in a chiefs vehicle, or when a chief is not available, then they do respond in personal vehicles. For that particular incident (8 Francis Dr.), we had at least 8 members that i can recall. The driver obviously stayed with the rig to run the panel, myself and the Lt. stretched a line, and the rest of the crew was used for different tasks and also ran the compressor on U-12 when it was called to the scene. While on this topic, i must admit that i truly do miss E-162(1969 GMC-Young). Not only was it a beautiful truck that won lots of trophies, but it was a great M/A Eng. because it had room for up to 7 FF's, including the driver. That Engine also had what we needed on it, it also still allowed for 2 Eng.'s to remain i/s in the village(E-160 & 161), not to mention it was the only rig outfitted with a Q :) . E-161 however is smaller, but on the upside carries alot of equipment, including a full compliment of Amkus extrication tools. Hope i answered your question, any others feel free to ask. BFD1054

Unfortunately we will not be replacing E-162, or at least nowhere in the near future :) . When we placed the order for our new U-12, it was clear that we had no room at our firehouse, so something had to go, unfortunately, it was E-162 that went. E-162 was a great Engine and also kept up or ISO rating, but if we had kept it, it would have sat outside and went to hell. It was sold to the Columbian Engine Company (our sister company) of Peekskill to use for their Muster team. BFD1054

What are the capacities for that cascade? Is it in service yet? (By the way, its a sharp looking rig.) Another thing, how do you guys decide which members do engine work and who does the utility? Is everyone trained to use U-12?

To answer your questions....As far as going M/A, we usually try and send a full crew to the scene and keep members back at our HQ to cover the village. That particular job (Montrose Francis Dr.), we were fortunate enough to have ample manpower. We actually sent E-161 w/full crew and Car2553 w/manpower, so the crew of E-161 was able to go to work and the remaining guys helped with other jobs like stretching lines and whatever else was needed. Then when U-12 was requested, our chief knew that we had sufficient manpower in Montrose, so he sent U-12 w/driver only, and the other guys helped run the compressor. In doing this, we were still able to keep a few guys back to cover the village and cover Montrose w/Verplanck (they had an Eng. on s/b at MFD HQ), if needed.

As far as the new U-12 (2003 International/E-One), the capacities as far as crew members kinda stink. We oredered the unit with the 2-door, 3 man cab for storage reasons. So, when we get called M/A, other members will respond with the chief that goes. You really don't need a whole hell of a lot of guys to run the Cascade. We responded to 141 Fremont St. w/driver, 2 FF's and 1 chief and did fine. One guy usually runs the compressor cause thats all thats needed to run it, plus with one guy running it, it becomes that 1 guys responsibility and then there isn't a bunch of hands getting in the way where something can get screwed up. The remaining guys are used to run back and forth retrieving bottles and returning them when they are full. With 141 Fremont, we were spoiled because Peekskills guys were coming to us and running the bottles back and forth. Oh yeah, the new cascade.....the new U-12 is in full service as of last nights meeting (12/11), and the chief will be sending out the proper notifications. Yes, it is a great looking rig, not to mention carries alot of great equipment. As always, we will be able to fill as many bottles as needed, unlimited air supply (good thing to keep in mind). The unit will also carry various equipment for minor alarms such as brush and lighting. It is in full service as i said and we are continuing to add some minor things such as water-cans. As soon as i can get a good equipment inventory and all its capabilities, i will let you all know. Also, we are looking at a date in mid-January for the "dry-down," so keep your ears and eyes open for that!

As far as deciding who goes M/A with the Eng. or cascade...it pretty much works on a first-come basis, as in, you show up quick enough and you're going lol. Obviously, a driver, a Chief and an officer, Captain or Lieutenant and crew goes. We usually only let our "Active" (interior-qualified) guys go for M/A Eng. calls, but the probies can go on air calls so that they can learn how to run the system. But deciding on who goes is always at the chiefs discretion. For example, a guy shows up first, but maybe hes not that active and hasn't made alot of alarms or drills, the chief will assign a more active guy to the crew. The chief will also take into consideration how much training and classes a guy has and how well they know the rig thats going M/A. Hope i provided all the answers/info you were lookin for, if not, feel free to ask away! BFD1054

Thanks Mike! Good luck with U-12, it is a sharp looking rig and I am sure you guys will be benefiting us all in the years to come!!

Hey, no problem John! Just pass the info about U-12 on so that we can assist other departments, anytime anyone needs us, we'll be there! And again, as soon as i get more info on the rig, i'll pass it on! BFD1054