Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

WCDES Announces Second Live Burn Module On FTC Campus

28 posts in this topic

From the Westchester County DES email list. Can't wait to train on these new additions!

I am pleased to announce that we now have a second live burn module on the Emergency services training campus. The live burn module has been installed on the fourth floor of the training tower. This will allow our departments to train utilizing the tower for high rise fire training. I.e. feed the standpipe system, hook to the standpipe on the third floor and advance hose to the fire floor allowing for search and rescue operations on the fifth and sixth floor. The scheduling for use of this module will begin next week. We also have a new confined space rescue simulator. The 10,000 gal upright tank has been secured in place on a concrete pad. Scaffolding has been installed both on the exterior and the interior of the tank. This will allow rescue personnel to climb the outside of the tank and set up on the top to affect a rescue of an injured person inside the tank.

I would like to thank you all for your patience during the recent construction on the training campus. I am sure you will agree that it is a big step forward for our agencies.

John E. Jackson,

Deputy Commissioner/Fire Coordinator

awesome!

Does anyone know how the class A box is doing in the smoke house? when I was taking FF2 they were just finishing up and they were having some problems with it.

This is an awesome and important training tool that has been made available for courses and departments whom have mid and high rise buildings. I hope it gets its use for positive, effective training.

Bunkers...don't know what "problems" that the pod had, I never heard of any and we have been using it on a regular basis in FF 1 and 2 courses and I know I am glad to have it in addition to the propane building.

This sounds both really cool to be able to train for high rise fires, but also very effective. As for the Class A pod in the smoke house, my FFI class used it, and I think we were actually the first class to use it...it made News 12...and it was a very educational and usefull experience.

Although a step in the right direction, the burn room is a joke compared to Rockland's burn buildings.

Firebuff31,

IYO rockland has better fire facilities than westchesters and that may be the case when it comes to certain props. There is always room for getting better. The thing is here in westchester we are very lucky to have the facilities that we have. I do alot of teaching around the state and get to see alot of facilities. Westchester's has one of the best facilites around the state. A lot of counties have no facilities at all. A lot of the times I am teaching in firehouses on the apparatus floor b/c that is all they have. I am not trying to put you down but you need to realize how good we really have it.

firebuff13 maybe you should be taking a few more classes and get some experience under your belt before you start to say what is a joke.

Although a step in the right direction, the burn room is a joke compared to Rockland's burn buildings.

Both training centers have their pros and cons. Both training centers have OUTSTANDING instructors who have a wealth of information and experience to share. The new training equipment at WC DES is not only a step in the right direction, but a huge benefit to responders in the entire area. Be thankful for what you have. Trust me, you have no clue what kind of hoops DES administration had to jump through to put these new props in place, and to get the level of instructors we have.

This is a great addition. Happy to hear it.

Any training prop is as good as its instructors and the studen't enthusiam and willingless to learn. Don't be so quick to judge.

Believe me, if the staff at DES had their way, Westchester's training facilities would far surpass Rockland. It's the Westchester County politics that get into the way.

The live burn module has been installed on the fourth floor of the training tower. This will allow our departments to train utilizing the tower for high rise fire training. I.e. feed the standpipe system, hook to the standpipe on the third floor and advance hose to the fire floor allowing for search and rescue operations on the fifth and sixth floor

Here's a photo of above:

post-11-1192571780.jpg

I really can't wait to use this prop- I hope we use it for my training day sometime!! This will be great for the many departments that have high rise buildings in their jurisdiction.

We also have a new confined space rescue simulator. The 10,000 gal upright tank has been secured in place on a concrete pad. Scaffolding has been installed both on the exterior and the interior of the tank. This will allow rescue personnel to climb the outside of the tank and set up on the top to affect a rescue of an injured person inside the tank.

And here's a photo of the above prop.

post-11-1192571952.jpg

Congrats WCDES. I was affraid that the burn pod you guys had gotten was one of those burn boxes. This is a far superior set up. Good luck and enjoy.

Als,

we were going to use it during our FF2 class when it was just finished being built but on the initial test runs, they found that it wasnt getting either hot or smoky enough. (i forget which one it was.)

Are you sure they were worried about how hot it was? I've met a few Westchester instructors and they don't seem the type to be looking to bake their gear.

Are you sure they were worried about how hot it was? I've met a few Westchester instructors and they don't seem the type to be looking to bake their gear.

not quite sure how to take that comment??

Huh?

Bottom line...

I haven't met a WC DES Instructor that does not do everything in their power to properly prepare EVERY trainee to the best of their ability. Including providing the most realistic training avalible.

What I'm saying is the fire will be as hot as it will be. The guys I've met aren't the type to try and push in to see how close they can just so you can feel the heat. They don't hold their helmets up into the hot smoke to see how much bake they can get.

Everybody would like as much real fire training as possible. This needs to be done with absolute safety as number 1. That being said NY State has a live burn policy which is strictly followed at Westchester. No benefit is gained if people get hurt or burn up gear. All live fire training is done in accordance with NFPA 1403.

You're comparing apples to oranges when you try to compare a "burn room" to a "burn building." Not to mention I'm not quite sure what else you mean when I can't seem to think that wood burning in a 12' x 12' concrete box would burn differently or give a different effect in another 12' x 12' concrete box anywhere else. You are right on one thing...it is a step, another option in the tool box of the instructors to train personnel departments send to us. The use of Class A vs. propane is a matter of debate on an instructor/trainer level. I prefer a mix of both being I utilize them them in different training modalities and concepts. There are pros and cons to everything, but I wouldn't call the means of doing Class A a step in the "right direction." As I said it is a step for the facility to have well rounded, accurate and impact training.

I've met a few Westchester instructors and they don't seem the type to be looking to bake their gear.

I only took this as a compliment. I do not look at live fire training, simply as a tool of flame, smoke and heat, but as an educational tool to best prepare firefighters in their initial training and to enforce skills throughout careers. All of the guys I work with I respect greatly and we all work together to create positive, safe training environments while giving realistic, common sense skills.

The purpose of live fire training isn't to see how hot you can get it for trainee's. It isn't about trying to get face shields melted. Its about how well trainee's perform under simulated fire ground conditions. I've been part of training burns where everyone is giving high fives because "man that was an awesome drill, it was pretty hot" but meanwhile it took forever to get the intial line stretched, which in the end it wasn't done properly, the hydrant took a day and half to get made and watching ladders being thrown anyone around them should have gotten hazard pay or forced to pay admission to the show. And as Demps121 said...NFPA 1403 is the most critical safety tool when involved with live fire training.

Training is only as good as you make it and what you do with it when its done.

Partyrock are you saying you take a helmet off your head---hold it up inthe heat just to "bake" it plase tell me what the meaning of that is? I have been training firefighters for a while now--ran 2 Fire Academy's- Certified level 2 nationaly -attended many State/Natonal seminars on training and have never had a Instructor or seen demonstrated a "bake" your helmet day.

Anyone know where there is photos of both training centers?

Partyrock are you saying you take a helmet off your head---hold it up inthe heat just to "bake" it plase tell me what the meaning of that is? I have been training firefighters for a while now--ran 2 Fire Academy's- Certified level 2 nationaly -attended many State/Natonal seminars on training and have never had a Instructor or seen demonstrated a "bake" your helmet day.

I think the point he is making is that there are firefighters, not so much Instructors (at least in Westchester) that intentionally expose themselves to excessive heat to turn their helmets into make-shift trophies. I've been all over the place and met Instructors whose whole goal was to "toast the gear." Luckily, Westchester doesn't appear to have any of these yahoos working the Training Center.

I think the point he is making is that there are firefighters, not so much Instructors (at least in Westchester) that intentionally expose themselves to excessive heat to turn their helmets into make-shift trophies. I've been all over the place and met Instructors whose whole goal was to "toast the gear." Luckily, Westchester doesn't appear to have any of these yahoos working the Training Center.

It's kind of like the person who's helmets are covered with dragon slaying or FDNY stickers that never went into the fire yet they seem to have soot all over thier faces and/or are coughing due to alledged smoke inhalation.

It's kind of like the person who's helmets are covered with dragon slaying or FDNY stickers that never went into the fire yet they seem to have soot all over thier faces and/or are coughing due to alledged smoke inhalation.

....I love them guys! Same ones grabbing the Gatorade and a wet towel at a job in the hot, humid weather even though all they've done is get there!

I should just PM ALS and Remember so they can post my threads for me.

Throughout the fire service there are children who go through great efforts to show how great of a firefighter they are by how blackened their gear is. These are usually the same guys who come out of a fire simulator complaining that it wasn't hot enough or the fire wasn't big enough. Regardless of how long it took get the line in place or water flowing their big concern is how much heat and smoke they got.

Edited by DOC22

Oh...the same ones that bolt to grab a pack to walk circles around the building? Or even better when put in a position where they might actually have to go in the SCBA suffers a mysterious acute malfunction?

Party...I don't know if we've met...but when we do...first round on me brother.

I got to assist with the career academy this week with the new burn module in the high rise tower. Worked out pretty well, heat level was adequate and a nice change of pace with it being on the 4th floor. Definately a different change of pace logistically with clean up. I look forward to utilizing this in some of the curriculums I teach.