Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
STAT213

Chevy 4500 Chassis For EMS Use

5 posts in this topic

Not sure if this should be under apparatus, but I want the EMSers to see it.

My department is buying a new ambulance, and we are considering the Chevy 4500 series Chassis.

Any of you out there using it, what do you think?

Thanks in advance!!

If any of you have a contact @ Boston EMS that would be awesome, too. They are quite close, and we would love to talk to someone who does their own maintenance.

Rob Atwater

Derry Fire

Can't speak to the specific model you mention, but one of my agencies just began purchasing Chevy's w/ a duramax diesel. Layout of the cab is a bit different in a few respects, you sit a bit differently in the drivers seat, but all-in-all i think the Chevy's are great. They are very quiet and have a real set of balls. As far as maintenance, i haven't heard the mechanics complain. Thus far they have held up to the abuse pretty well. Hope that helps just a little.

For those who haven't seen one, here's a couple of shots of M155 of the Glendale Arizona FD. I have been told AMR has purchased some, running in our divisions in Las Vegas and Las Cruces, New Mexico. I'll be in Vegas in a few weeks, so I'll try to get a few shots.

post-5252-1192509864.jpg

post-5252-1192509942.jpg

For those who haven't seen one, here's a couple of shots of M155 of the Glendale Arizona FD. I have been told AMR has purchased some, running in our divisions in Las Vegas and Las Cruces, New Mexico. I'll be in Vegas in a few weeks, so I'll try to get a few shots.

AMR Vegas has a few C3500 not the big medium duty jobs. The crews I have talked to about them love them because there is a lot more room in the front cab which makes keeping street corners warm much easier to handle. They also said that they really get up and move.

THAT'S what we need... I'm so tired of working in vehicles that are grossly underpowered with wee little suspensions...

just becasue a truck CAN hold the weight of a fully loaded ambulance, doesn't mean it's going to still work properly after about 10K miles on it. Making an ambluance out of an E-150 or E-250 is like having a datsun for a radio car.

The best rig I'v ever driven is a van ambulance on an E-350 chassis; drives like a sports car!