Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MFVFD179

TSP PIAA 10/16/07

13 posts in this topic

I was driving to school this morning around 7:30 and passed by a car accident (possibly 3 cars). It was on the Taconic State Parkway in the Southbound lanes by Rt. 6. Does anyone have any info on this?

I was driving to school this morning around 7:30 and passed by a car accident (possibly 3 cars). It was on the Taconic State Parkway in the Southbound lanes by Rt. 6. Does anyone have any info on this?

By Firefighter Chris Gravius

October 16, 2007

On Tues. 9/16/07 at 07:09am, Mohegan units were dispatched to the Taconic State Parkway southbound at Rt. 6 for a motor vevicle accident with possible extrication. While units were enroute, 60 Control dispatch advised that it was confirmed extrication as per PD units on scene. Upon arrival of units, 1 vehicle was found to be resting precariously upside down on top of another vehicle and the operator of the lower vehicle entrapped within the vehicle. Members immediately put Hurst tools (Jaws Of Life) and other extrication tools from Engine 255 to work on the driver's door while other members began to stabilize the upper vehicle utilizing all of the stabilization cribbing from Engine 253. A 1 3/4" hoseline was also stretched from Engine 255 for precautinary purposes during the incident. A rapid extrication was performed opening the door and the patient was extricated out and transfered over to the care of Mohegan EMS and both the Yorktown and Cortlandt paramedics. The operator of the top vehicle was out of the vehicle prior to FD arrival. Both operators were transported by 69B1 and 69B3 to area hospitals. Members stoodby and assisted in traffic control and cleanup of the debris. Units cleared at approximately 8:15am.

Units: 2263, 2265, 2266, Engine 253, Engine 255, 69B1, 69B3, Yorktown 34Medic1. Cortlandt 35medic1, Yorktown PD, New York State Police, NYC DEP Police

Source with pictures:

http://moheganfire.com/index.cfm?fs=news.n...amp;News_ID=173

Those are some excellent photos! And to think, they straightened out this section and I thought it would reduce the number of accidents! Guess that is why they have those t-shirts, "Roll Over Capital".

thanks DonMoose! and wow, amazing pictures is correct

And people wonder why I avoid the Taconic like the plague north of the Saw Mill.

GREAT PICS GLAD I TAKE 684 DOWN 4 DAYS A WEEK ONLY TAKE THE TACONIC ON HUMPDAY

surprisingly enough only one person needed to be extricated out of the black vehicle. It was pretty much a door pop, just had to be careful that the dor didnt creep any farther into the passenger compartment. Its amazing to me how some accidents where you think that there will be catastrophic injuries end up being fairly mild, and the ones that look mild are the serious ones.

Interesting call to say the least. I heard it and if it wasn't so tough to get up there I was going to try and snap some photos.

Check your date on your site Mohegan....it's October.... ;)

Yorktown 34Medics were on scene and are included in the list of units that responded. Yorktown VAC did not respond, all EMS was handled by Mohegan's 69B1 and 69B3

Yorktown 34Medics were on scene and are included in the list of units that responded. Yorktown VAC did not respond, all EMS was handled by Mohegan's 69B1 and 69B3

While we're correcting response details, first medic on scene was Empire's Putnam 35-M2 out of Putnam Valley, with 6 minutes dispatch to on scene.