Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GFD70

Fairview Fire 10/17/07 ?

10 posts in this topic

4 families displaced in Greenburgh fire

(Original publication: October 17, 2007)

GREENBURGH - Four families were displaced this morning when a fire damaged their home in the Fairview neighborhood.

Firefighters were called out to a multi-family house at 31 Gibson Ave. around 9:15 a.m. today.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.

The American Red Cross gave food, clothing, shelter and referrals at the scene to six adults and four children who lived in the home.

Does anyone have anymore info?

???????? This was an oil burner puff back! Why were they all displaced?

???????? This was an oil burner puff back! Why were they all displaced?

Haven't you ever been to a puffback where the house is left uninhabitable until it undergoes an extreme overhaul and clean(i.e.-Servicmaster, Servpro, etc....) I have seen a couple that blakened the entire home, atleast one a year.

I just can't understand why these happen.

Why don't these people have the annual maintenance??? Frequently, it's free with the service contract.

The premise has been condemned

I just can't understand why these happen.

Why don't these people have the annual maintenance??? Frequently, it's free with the service contract.

Why is hard for you to undersatnd? After having been doing this kind of work for 20 + years it can happen very easily, even if you have the proper maintence done to your Oil Burners. An animal can get into the flue and block it , a piece of the Chimney can break off inside, and change the draft, a control can fail, a power surge can happen , and damage a contol. those are just a few things, that can happen that are beyond there control.

Why is hard for you to undersatnd? After having been doing this kind of work for 20 + years it can happen very easily, even if you have the proper maintence done to your Oil Burners. An animal can get into the flue and block it , a piece of the Chimney can break off inside, and change the draft, a control can fail, a power surge can happen , and damage a contol. those are just a few things, that can happen that are beyond there control.

Well said Ja3kfd. I had a bird's nest fall down the chimney and block my oil burner's flu and filled up the basement and part of the kitchen w/ lovely black smoke. Needless to say, i called the police via their house line to ask if they could dispatch FD to ventilate my basement. Somewhere down the line it got turned into a boiler explosion. I walked outside and the entire block was filled with fire trucks and ambulances. :P

you just gotta love mis-informing/informed dispatches SEND IN ALL YOU HAVE POSS. STRUCTURE FIRE GET THERE AND ITS NOTHING MORE THAN BURNT FOOD ON THE STOVE

Thank you ja3kfd. Previously I had usually assoicated puff backs with poor maintenance.

Are you an oil burner tech?

you just gotta love mis-informing/informed dispatches SEND IN ALL YOU HAVE POSS. STRUCTURE FIRE GET THERE AND ITS NOTHING MORE THAN BURNT FOOD ON THE STOVE

I'll assume that you're not criticizing the dispatchers, but the dispatches themselves. As the saying goes - garbage in, garbage out - the dispatchers aren't on scene when the call comes in, they can only dispatch based on what they're told by the callers (who frequently give the dispatcher/calltaker incorrect or misleading information). The dispatchers do the best they can with the limited facts they've been given...not easy.

Edited by emt301