Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Sprain Brook MVA 10-18-07

18 posts in this topic

Did Air 1 fly to the scene or did the crew just walk over to the scene and carry the patient to the ER?

Did Air 1 fly to the scene or did the crew just walk over to the scene and carry the patient to the ER?

The incident caused a massive traffic tie up in the area. The critical patient was pinned and the extrication was complicated, so with the other patients keeping EMS on scene tied up, and the traffic condition*, Stat Flight was the best choice to transport the critically injured patient quickly and effiently.

*Traffic condition had ALL local roads in Greenburgh locked up. The ambulance would have had to go all the way up to Jackson Ave, turn around, and go North and fight their way through significant congestion and slowdown due to rubberneckers to get to the Medical Center. Southbound traffic was stopped, and closed at Route 100B (Dobbs Ferry Road)

With the way Westchester roads are at times, it's good to have the Helicopter for situations such as this. (Cities like LA do the same thing due to traffic)

Elmsford 58B-1 was not dispatched to the scene of this MVA on the Sprain...at least not to my knowledge and my pager is on...I don't know what ambulances besides 87B-1, ASVAC, Greenburgh EMS, and Air 1.

all this action, and no pictures?

all this action, and no pictures?

post-12-1192797508.jpg

Nice shots HFD23! Especially with 170 right there!

Of course this didn't happen, but...The picture looks as though these units were responding and all of a sudden they had to stop cause there was a chopper in the middle of the highway. Hartsdale's engine is strewn across the parkway one way, looks like Fairview's is facing the opposite way, some tow truck back there looks like he swerved to avoid collision...just looks like a big mess! Nice pictures though from what appears to be an overpass????

Hartsdale's engine is strewn across the parkway one way

Hartsdale's engine was positioned to help block the scene from the wind and debris created by the helicopter, which was landed between the scene and the overpass. The photo makes the scene look like everything was closed then it really was.

Thank you for your insight...but I knew that...I guess you missed my disclaimer...the first 5 words of my statement!

Elmsford 58B-1 was not dispatched to the scene of this MVA on the Sprain...at least not to my knowledge and my pager is on...I don't know what ambulances besides 87B-1, ASVAC, Greenburgh EMS, and Air 1.

Keep in mind even though people want to get care to the patients as fast as possible, you don't want to strip an entire area off all its resources, and with all the traffic created from the accident, I'm sure coming south from Elmsford was probably no easy tasK!

The incident caused a massive traffic tie up in the area. The critical patient was pinned and the extrication was complicated, so with the other patients keeping EMS on scene tied up, and the traffic condition*, Stat Flight was the best choice to transport the critically injured patient quickly and effiently.

*Traffic condition had ALL local roads in Greenburgh locked up. The ambulance would have had to go all the way up to Jackson Ave, turn around, and go North and fight their way through significant congestion and slowdown due to rubberneckers to get to the Medical Center. Southbound traffic was stopped, and closed at Route 100B (Dobbs Ferry Road)

With the way Westchester roads are at times, it's good to have the Helicopter for situations such as this. (Cities like LA do the same thing due to traffic)

You're right on with that! I was on my way home from work at about 6PM last night and Hartsdale Avenue was backed up from Central to almost Dobbs Ferry Road. Traffic also heavy coming from Knollwood Road towards Hartsdale Avenue. The whole area near the Sprain was a mess.

I can't think of any "turn-arounds" on the Sprain that are nearby. That could have allowed an ambulance to get out quicker. Maybe there should be one??

By the way, it sounds like those two clowns that were allegedly speeding should be charged with something. Maybe manslaughter? Hope the investigation can clear that up.

I was driving down the Sprain this morning and I dont recall seeing a single turn-around along the entire stretch from Jackson Ave to 100 B. There seems to be plenty of space for at least one or two, any reason why they havnt put any in?

Last time I was tied up in SBP traffic, the accident was SB about 1/4 before Jackson Ave. I remeber seeing E150 and R29 coming north, and just driving up the grass to come south... It worked, but I could imagine if this was during a drenching rain storm, they might not have been so fortunate.... :blink:

New guardrail has been installed along the length of sprain that has eliminated the ability to cross the grass. Maybe someone needs to tell the state that wasn't the best idea.

i was listening the whole time on 46.26 sounded like it was a speedy exracation. great pics of the scene. what was the total number of units called in. and kudos to fairview for setting up a fast I/C and calling for additional units as soon as they pulled up. great job to all the units opperating that day, those situations can be quite stressful especially on a busy road way like that.

Edited by MoFire390

I was driving down the Sprain this morning and I dont recall seeing a single turn-around along the entire stretch from Jackson Ave to 100 B. There seems to be plenty of space for at least one or two, any reason why they havnt put any in?

You can bet it probably has something to do with money and who has to spend it!!

Perhaps someone who works for DOT or has connections can shed some light on this?