Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Smoke in the area

11 posts in this topic

What does everyone's departments do about recieving a call of smoke in the area?

I know we usually roll E-1, E-2 Tank-1. And start searching

Two Engines. Other equipment as requested.

usually once in the general area, the rigs will stage while officers on scene in thier pov or dept vehicles start to search.

thats usually how my calls come in, smoke in the area of..., daytime its easy to track down, night you arent going to find much unless its an actual fire

2 engine response. But it kind of depends on the call also. Heavy smoke in the area everything rolls, 2 engines will investigate while the ladder the 3rd due engine and the rescue will stage in the general area.

Around here, they roll a full box alarm: 4 closest engines, 2 closest ladders, Rescue 1, and the District Chief. Fire Alarm (dispatch) will also say after they strike the box who the RIT (FAST) company is. So even if it's burnt toast smoke out the window and someone calls 911, you're gonna have a couple of firefighters knocking on your door (or maybe even breaking it down!)

Mike

Smoke in the area in Dobbs Ferry is usually one engine. If its a report of a heavy smoke condition then its transmitted as a general alarm.

well, let me rephrase what I last said.

E-1(center), and if the caall is out west E-2. If they feel like it, or its in the middle, or shortage of people, they roll both. Usually the tanker, and rescue stage at the station, with A-1. And if the call is for smoke in the middle of nowhere, they sometimes roll our brush truck.

If FD is dispatched it is a minor alarm - Engine, Ladder, Rescue. If it is in the Tanker area it is two Engines, Tanker & Rescue. One of our more recent outside smoke investigations revealed a working house fire roughly 3 or 4 houses away from PD HQ. I don't get why FD isn't dispatched to every outside smoke - a fire can double in size EVERY MINUTE. Start 'em out and if it's nothing send 'em back.

Edited by Remember585

We send out a full assignment for all smoke investigations except if there area reports that the smoke is coming from a wooded area, then its two engines and our squad.

Yonkers:

10-36 OS - Outside Smoke Investigation - 1 Engine Co. response.

10-36 IS - Inside Smoke Condition - Full Assignment including Rescue and Safety Battalion.

10-29 - Smoke emitting from structure is dispatched as a possible structure fire - Full assignment, Rescue, Safety.

Most of the outside smoke calls we get are people who don't know that you can burn wood to keep warm! Hopefully you get that...

Edited by Oswegowind