Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FF402

Mount Vernon DPW workers say unsafe trucks stall garbage pick up

4 posts in this topic

DPW workers say unsafe trucks stall garbage pick up

News 12 (10/24/07)

MOUNT VERNON - Mount Vernon Department of Public Works employees, upset about unsafe vehicles and a lack of contract, did not take all the garbage trucks to the streets Wednesday.

Assistant Shop Steward Dwayne Jones say the workers will only take out garbage trucks after a mechanic has worked on them. Jones says the working conditions and the equipment are horrible and the trucks are unsafe. DPW employees have been working without a contract for about a year.

Jones says numerous complaints about conditions have been ignored. He does say that the mayor has assured workers that a fair contract will be worked out.

Jones stresses the workers’ actions are not a stoppage or a slow down. He says it is just an issue of safety.

At least they get to ride on the outside still...........

This just goes to show it is not just the FF's that are getting shorted in "Money Earnin' Mt. Vernon". I think the only money being earned went into

Ernie's pockets!!!! From one department to the next you see old worn out equipment in Mt. Vernon, I really think it is time for a change over there, but I don't live there and can't vote for one...it is up to the residents to be persuaded to choose a new Mayor, and the departments can do their side and endorse the one that will bring them their change!

that is nothing new in Mount Vernon I heard awhile back that the sanitation workers are having problems with their trucks