Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

LA fires: Fire resistant foam used on homes?

6 posts in this topic

Saw a brief news clip showing so called fire resistant foam being applied

to the exterior of producer David Geffen's home.

Supposedly it is fire resistant. Is this at all true and who is this so called

fire prevention company that was installing it?

How would it be safely removed?

I would guess it is very toxic. How expensive a process is this?

Thanks and stay dry. Too bad LA isn't getting our rain !!!

I saw it on CNN. Not sure but it is in its early stages of devolpment. To be honest it looked like some hillbilly rigged somethng together.

There was a thread on this site a while ago about insurance company funded fire protection. I believe they responded to threatened area and applied fire resistant material to the property.

Saw the same on CNN, and the truck used had AIG on it, so I would think it is paid for if not provided directly by an insurance company. They say it is completelt non toxic. After the threat passes there is another nozzle that spplies clear water at a higher pressure to remove it. The guy that was applying the stuff told what it was, but since the oldtimers is kicking in I don't remember what he said it was.

i believe it's called Barricade fire blocking gel, it was developed here in Florida, something to do with the stuff in baby diapers that holds liquid, it stays wet and will cling to walls and roofs and last for several hours depending on weather conditons, allowing you to pretreat structures snf move on

The polymer that is used in diapers is some amazing stuff. It can hold 100x its weight in water and once its bound with water its non-toxic, non-irritating, and biodegradable. You can pick up the stuff at garden supply centers where its used to retain water in arid conditions. When its dry the irritation is caused because the stuff is so hydrophilic. Its also very useful for practical jokes.