Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Medical call reveals 'disgusting' house

9 posts in this topic

Interesting call. I've been in my fair share of these house, but never involving children. It's sad when it's the elderly alone.

Medical call reveals 'disgusting' house

October 26, 2007

SUFFIELD, Conn. --Police arrested a husband and wife after finding them and their 9-year-old daughter living in an "absolutely disgusting" house, according to court documents. Police responding to a medical call at the Bakes home earlier this month found piles of clothes covered in food and feces, three feet of dirty dishes in the kitchen sink, a kitchen table covered with garbage and rotten food, and brown liquid running out of the refrigerator onto the floor, according to court documents.

............It was extremely difficult for paramedics to reach Timothy Bakes, 38, because of the "excessive amount filth covering the entire house," officers wrote in an affidavit. He was taken to the hospital for an undisclosed medical problem...........

Information from: Journal Inquirer, http://www.journalinquirer.com

Great House Keeping!

Had a friend in elementary/high school that lived in similar conditions. Been too many of these types of homes. I remember taking in a chest pain at like 3:30 or so in the morning walking up a flight and a half of stairs or so with the bags and the FF looked at me at the top, i looked into the door and saw piles of clothes and all kinds of crap everywhere and there were two little kids running dashing in between the piles playing tag. It's unfortunate.

OMG Excuse me while i go barth,

The main thing to take from this story gang is that this is a form of child neglect and endangerment and falls under the fact that EMS providers are mandated reporters.

Discovery of this type of unsanitary living conditions, even if there are no children involved, requires reporting to the proper authorities.

There is likely mental health issues involved where people cannot take care of themselves, and they ultimately can endanger themselves, or others.

The important thing is you can't just "turn somebody in" unless an emergency call for assistance is made.

For instance no government agencies can just happen by and discover its unsanitary and initiate action. That, believe it or not, is an invasion of privacy.

If you are there on an emergency call and see these conditions, absolutely, get the Mental Health AND Building Dept's involved.

Discovery of this type of unsanitary living conditions, even if there are no children involved, requires reporting to the proper authorities.

There is likely mental health issues involved where people cannot take care of themselves, and they ultimately can endanger themselves, or others.

The important thing is you can't just "turn somebody in" unless an emergency call for assistance is made.

For instance no government agencies can just happen by and discover its unsanitary and initiate action. That, believe it or not, is an invasion of privacy.

If you are there on an emergency call and see these conditions, absolutely, get the Mental Health AND Building Dept's involved.

You may absolutely just "turn somebody in", and you can do it anonymously. Call Adult Protective Services at 914-231-2026. They will investigate and try to help the person(s) try to overcome what ever it is that causes them to live this way. Not just arrest them. Which in my opinion will not solve them real problem.

Edited by CAM502

As an EMT or Paramedic, if you knock on the wrong door while looking for a job and see something that is reportable you have a legal responsibility to report it. You drive by and look through an open window and see something reportable you can report it. There is precious little right to privacy when the health and welfare of a child, elder, or handicapped adult is at stake.

Not at all true. If you observe something that is a health and/or safety issue you have every right - and probably a duty - to report it to the appopriate authority.

It is done every day all over the place.