Here is station on E. Lincoln Ave

Home of Engine 6 and Ladder 2

Also known as Fire Headquarters

All photo by Chris Page.

post-1209-1193796930.jpg

post-1209-1193797019.jpg

Edited by CPAGE

Station 2 on South Fulton Ave

Home of Res1cuE and Engine 5 and other SOC stuff and the shops to the rear.

post-1209-1193797133.jpg

post-1209-1193797154.jpg

Station 3 on West 3rd Street

home of Engine 3 and Tower Ladder 1 ?? and other spare rigs

post-1209-1193797252.jpg

post-1209-1193797277.jpg

Station 4 at 9-11 Oak Street

Home of Engine 2 and Engine 4

post-1209-1193797361.jpg

Ok now the former home of Ladder Co. 1

on South 6th Ave near W. 1st Street

post-1209-1193797461.jpg

The former home of Rescue 1

on South Fulton Ave near E.3rd Street

Sorry about the car infront

post-1209-1193797536.jpg

Pretty cool houses, but see why the other post on this site talks about the dis-repair and filth of the stations from the pictures.

Its always sad to see former firehouses. One can only imagine the history, and stories behind them.

I think what is most sad is seeing them fall into disrepair.

Chris were you on the job for FDMV? Just wondering if you ever worked with my dad or grandfather.

I was looking for the old fire house on South 3rd Ave that was used by Albano fuel. I think it was knocked down. If any has a pic please post it here and if anyone remembers who was in the house also please post.

Thanks

I was looking for the old fire house on South 3rd Ave that was used by Albano fuel. I think it was knocked down. If any has a pic please post it here and if anyone remembers who was in the house also please post.

Thanks

That house is still there, I think its a garage now......I'm pretty sure it was engine 6

Really sad to see the Lime Green Foam Unit 1 sitting idle and unused behind the Fulton Avenue Firehouse (along side the Old Rescue 1). Foam 1 was always a key piece of equipment within the Mount Vernon FD, especially given the Oil Stations down off of Samford Blvd and Route 22. Does FDMV have any plans, whatsoever, to utilize this former Airport Unit?

If the walls could talk in these old firehouses. I'm also interested in finding out about that crash truck, were it came from, and whether it will be used. What kind is it? And what year?

Edited by DOC22
Spelling, and Grammar errors

That house is still there, I think its a garage now......I'm pretty sure it was engine 6

Yep....Engine 6 was stationed there until they moved to what is now Station #1/Fire HQ at 470 East Lincoln Ave. I remember my uncles taking me to this house when I was a kid and seeing the Ahens Fox engine pull out.

Engine 3 and Truck 1 used to be at 211 S. 4th Ave., just south of 3rd St., where the 3 story building functioned as Fire Hq. When Station 3 opened in 1978 at 50 W. 3rd St. between S. 6th and 7th Ave., Engine 3, 4 and Truck 1 moved there.

Engine 5 used to occupy the firehouse on S. Fulton Ave. just north of E. 3rd St. until they moved to Station 2 on S. Fulton Ave. between E. 5th St. and E. Sandford Blvd. After Engine 5 moved, the Rescue ran out of this house for a number of years.

Engine 4 was located at 23 S. 6th Ave. between W. 1st and 2nd St. but swapped with Truck 1 for a number of years and ran with Engine 3 out of 211 S. 4th Ave. In the mid '80's, Engine 1 was "temporarily" placed out of service and Engine 4 eventually was relocated to Station 4 (aka "The West Side") at 9-11 Oak St.

Engine 2 used to be located on E. Sidney Ave, between Gramatan Ave. and N. 3rd Ave. The company later moved to Station 4 when Truck 2 moved to Station 1.

Finally, Truck 3 used to be quartered in a house on. S. 5th Ave. between W. 5th St. and W. Sandford Blvd. behind Nathan Hale School ( now known as Parker School). It moved to Station 2, along with Engine 5, wen the new house opened in 1962.

if the walls could talk in these old firehoses.im also intrested to know about that crash truck,were it came from and will it be used? what kind is it and what year?

That crash truck has been sitting there for almost two years now. I think we got it from Stewart, Just like all rig work hold your breath. Davis will just call FDNY for all our needs, since he doesnt have to put anything in the FD. Shame because that beast might have potential. Love to see it pull up at a job.

JLoftus

L-2

Was the original intent of the Crash Truck to be the New Foam 1? Or, did FDMV have additional plans for it (As a Fire Supression Unit - Kind of a Super Pumper of sorts?). That would be a terrific unit, not only for Mount Vernon, but for Mutual Aid use in New Rochelle and Yonkers, on an "As Needed Basis". In my opinion, what should be done with this Lime Green Crash Truck (would need to paiint it Red and White), would be to take it and have it part of a Westchester County, Department of Emergency Management Fleet, stored somewhere in Lower Westchester County, that could be used and deployed all over Southern Westchester County, as part of a Mutual Aid/Homeland Security/Disaster Deployment Fleet (along with those SOP Rigs that Yonkers FD currently has, such as their High Water Rescue Vechicle, their Medical Trailer, Their Collapse Rig, etc.). This way, all municipalities have access to such equipment. Now the question remains, who would be responsible for manning these rigs? (The County? Select Memebers of various departments throughout Southern Westchester County? Others?) Does anyone have a suggestions?

That crash truck has been sitting there for almost two years now. I think we got it from Stewart, Just like all rig work hold your breath. Davis will just call FDNY for all our needs, since he doesnt have to put anything in the FD. Shame because that beast might have potential. Love to see it pull up at a job.

JLoftus

L-2

Jimmy,

The crash truck is from the Westchester County Airport and was given to MVFD a couple of years ago.

As for Mayor Ernie,....time to go......but thats for a post on another board. Lets just hope life at MVFD improves next year.

Whats happening to the old Rescue 1? Any plans or is it gonig to sit around for a while?

post-103-1194207393.jpg

Oshkosh Military P-4 ARFF Fire Truck-1200 GPM/1500 GALS WATER/180 GALS AFFF,in its day and well after according to many Air Force firefighters it was a very dependable as well as versatile apparatus ever in the USAF FD fleet. The above pic is not the one from FDMV but could have been if someone picked up the ball after it was aquired from the Westchester Co. Airport. At the time we got it our normal fleet of rigs was questionable on a daily basis so I guess it was not on the priority list. It did run and did pump when we got it!

Edited by hudson144

again, sad to see such a wonderful piece of equipment just rotting outside behind the Fulton Ave Staton, along side the Old Rescue 1 (which is now used as the Field Service Unit, but why this rig is also stored "outside") is just mind-boggling, with the room that the 3rd Street Station has.

Was the original intention for this Crash Truck to be used as "FOAM 1" ? I definately see other uses for this truck, as I have outlined above

yes it would be foam 1, as far as station 3 having alot of room? you can't move in there. New tower 1 is there (broken?)

FAB truck, E-3,L-3 and whatever else is floating around. There is also concerns about what to do if Station 1 doesn't pass the inspection from the health dept and private company who was in last week taking air samples,mold samples as well as raw sewage samples. place needs a facelift!