Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

An FDNY First: Raised Roof Cabs

11 posts in this topic

According to the November-December edition of "Fire Apparatus Journal" ( http://www.fireappartusjournal.com), the next round of 69 Engines, 1 high-pressure engine, and eleven 75 foot midmount towers were awarded to Seagrave. FAJ is reporting that the engines and trucks will be on a Seagrave Marauder II chasis with a modified tilt-cab and 8" raised roof.

As far as I know, these are both firsts for FDNY. Anyone know the reasons behind the change? And will the raised roof fit in all firehouses?

If memory serves me correctly the old E-One demonstrator, the Spartan cab tower ladder out on City Island and one of the Spartan chassis pumpers donated after 9-11 all have a raised cab. I'm not 100% sure on this, just going off some buff info that I'll have to look up.

As for the reason, i know Seagrave was looking to get rid of the Commander line of fixed cabs for awhile if I am not mistaken, when were were taking to Seagrave when we speced out out new truck, it was mentioned to us that the fixed cab chassis was being discontinued and that was over a year ago.

Might be a tight fit, depending on where they go. It's already at a point where there are houses where the rigs just clear the door, vertically and horizontally. The 110 foot RMA's from 1989/91 were low profile, but the crew part of the cab was regular size, so it had the look of a raised roof.

If memory serves me correctly the old E-One demonstrator, the Spartan cab tower ladder out on City Island and one of the Spartan chassis pumpers donated after 9-11 all have a raised cab. I'm not 100% sure on this, just going off some buff info that I'll have to look up.

As for the reason, i know Seagrave was looking to get rid of the Commander line of fixed cabs for awhile if I am not mistaken, when were were taking to Seagrave when we speced out out new truck, it was mentioned to us that the fixed cab chassis was being discontinued and that was over a year ago.

Your right about City Island truck. I looked it up on the web and the picture shows a raised roof cab on a 2001 Spartan/Aerialscope/Marion 75' Tower Ladder

The raised roof pumper was the Spartan/Luverne that is used as the caisson.

According to the November-December edition of "Fire Apparatus Journal" ( http://www.fireappartusjournal.com), the next round of 69 Engines, 1 high-pressure engine, and eleven 75 foot midmount towers were awarded to Seagrave. FAJ is reporting that the engines and trucks will be on a Seagrave Marauder II chasis with a modified tilt-cab and 8" raised roof.

As far as I know, these are both firsts for FDNY. Anyone know the reasons behind the change? And will the raised roof fit in all firehouses?

The 1996 HME Saulsbury Rescue trucks were also a raised roof design:

Link:

http://www.rescue1fdny.com/rig.html

I had read in an article some time ago. I believe Fire Engineering or Firehouse. The FDNY got rid of a lot of the donated apparatus because they forsaw the nightmare of stocking spare parts for all the various apparatus. I know they did keep some. I would venture to guess that there may have been some raised cabs among the group.

From what I've heard the Pumpers are supposed to be Split-Tilt cabs.

From what I've heard the Pumpers are supposed to be Split-Tilt cabs.

The tower ladder's are going to have the same cab/chassis as the pumpers

fdny has had split tilt cabs in the past, the 94 RM and TL were split tilts dont know about the engines

Edited by Taz288

they had tilt cabs I think in 92, I remember 58 Engine had one, it was horrible everyone sat backwards, not the best seating position when you need to see what you are going to. It was unique cause it had the intake in the front in different position. I dont remember exactly what it looked like but I think it was in the bumper so the cab could tilt. I worked in a 94 tilt cab TL and the same problems were sitting backwards. They also were not stable at all cause of the single front stabilizer.

Its a step in the right direction, but we need more room inside not top to bottom.