Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dr. Zuki

Con Ed Electric Meters: Fire hazard per CBS TV News

5 posts in this topic

What, if anything, can be done to prevent potential house fire from Con Edison's defective, new digital outside electric meters?

CBS TV News did a piece the other night about a meter fire that totaled a North Castle home.

Their web site prpbably still has the story posted.

Thank You.

Dr. Zuki

Lawrence Hospital

Dr. Zuki:

Did Con Ed come forth and admit they were defective? I didn't get to see the piece and your post is the first I'm hearing of this. Also if you might know is the fire you mentioned the only fire cited?

Thanks for any additional info you might have. I have yet to respond to, hear of or hear discussions of this within my friends that are cause and origin investigators.

I saw that story a few days ago. Didn't the statistic they used say there were 400 something meter fires nationwide. What ever the number was, the statistic didn't differentiate between mechanical or digital meters. It seems there isn't a very big story here outside of one family who is being shafted by con ed

With 400 meter fires/year, I'd say the risk is pretty low, BUT nonetheless, STILL THERE. But anyway you look at it, Electric Meters are hazardous: you mess with them without the proper precautions, you're as good as dead. (Although I'm pretty I'm whippin' a dead horse here)

Mike

There is nothing wrong with the electric meters.

Digital, mechanical, doesn't matter. This can happen with ANY meter socket.

Con Ed does not own nor do they maintain the meter socket.

The problem that is occurring is with the customer-owned meter socket itself, (or meter pan, whatever you like to call it), not the meter.

When the jaws inside the meter socket lose tension, become corroded, contaminated, or have faulty wiring they can get dangerously hot and cause damage from the resulting poor connection.

If an electronic digital meter fails, usually the circuit board of the meter just smokes, and the plastic gets discolored.

The meter or socket pan should NEVER be anything but ambient temperature. If it's hot to the touch, turn everything off and call ConEd Electric Emergency immediately!!!

edit: add link & text:

http://wcbstv.com/local/fire.electric.meter.2.481536.html

Edited by jack10562