Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remember585

Random thoughts thanks to boredom.

20 posts in this topic

Today is Sunday. I am at work, and I have a few questions bouncing around in my head I am hoping someone here can help me with.

1. What is the "OFD Annual Event" today? My guess is that they're playing Trivial Pursuit.

2. What exactly does "fire is doubtful" mean to you? Does it mean that the fire is a pesimist? (spelling)

3. Whats the point of radio identifiers when they're not always correct? Ex: 'engine 1" calls 60 control, and it is using the "Car 6" identifier? If you think about it, your radio is a liar, and it should be grounded. No TV after dinner tonight for your radio!

4. Why am I awake?

If you can help with any of these questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

The answer to 4) why am I awake, must have something to do with you being at work!

# 1 .answer Ossining FD Raffle Ticket Drawing

Winner to Receive $10,000. :D

The winner was from Fla

#2. This means someone listens to FDNY radio traffic way too much-K

Actually Batt. 16 has been using the terminology very frequently lately!

I was also wondering what someone meant when they say "fire is doubtful"

Short for It is doubtful that the fire will be placed under control anytime soon

dont you think Probably will hold is better then doubtful, because the fire will probably hold in the structure. And if the fire is doubtful, its sounds to me that it is getting weak and I doubt it will stay in the structure much longer? I know Im: :blahblah: lol

"Doubtful Will Hold" in the FDNY means the units/manpower at scene will most likely not be enough to extinguish the fire. "Probable" means the units at scene will probably be enough. There can be a job where the fire is knocked down or even out and still "Doubtful," because the command believes additional units would still be required for non-suppression reasons overhaul, relief, ETC.

to answer number 4.well so so you can post on emtbravo

Getting back to this "fire is doubtfull", it seems to be used a lot lately and dosent always jive with what I hear on scanner/radio or read here. It was used today at the katonah fire and 10 minutes later the IC was giving a 10-30 which I believe means under control. I wasnt there so I can only comment on what I hear or read. If it means that it is doubtful that the fire can be contained with the present units, how can the fire be under control 10 minutes later without additional alarms.

Lets throw that out there and see what happens..................

Well, based on the context which you described, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that perhaps "Fire Doubtful" means that it is doubtful that it will burn for much longer. Am I right in my assumption?

Thanks for the feedback!

To me, if there is no agreeing on what a term means - why are we using it? It's only going to provide for confusion. Same thing goes for 10-codes - why have them? They just cause more confusion.

How about this. You are the IC and you pull up on a working fire. Why not say "Command to all units, we have a working fire." And while you're at it, why not give a size-up and an estimated amount of the building involved in the fire? For example - "Command to all units, we have a working fire in a 75x75 2 1/2 story ordinary construction building, with fire on the 2nd floor, A/B side." Wouldn't that suffice?

It was used today at the katonah fire and 10 minutes later the IC was giving a 10-30 which I believe means under control.  I wasnt there so I can only comment on what I hear or read. 

10-30 does mean under control.

I wasn't at the fire either to comment the specifics on that fire being called doubtful being followed by 10-30. What this is, is a good example on why only one person (the incident commander) should be making these calls.

#2. LMAO!!!

#3. ROTFLMAO!!!

#4. Why aren't you making a White Castle run???

Thanks for the laugh, JM!

Anytime Seth.

As for a crave run - only once a month, anymore and I will need constant medical care...

Heads Up: Never have a date at white castle, or else you will never see her again. :D