Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Tandem tractor trailer runs over car - May 1985 - From my archives

22 posts in this topic

I recently went through some of my slides and negatives that I had taken over the years...... I had a lot of neat stuff but unfortunately, I lent many of my slides and negatives out to different people and they didn't come back..... I found these and to me, they are classics and I think East Fishkill will too. They are of an auto vs. tandem tractor trailer accident that occurred in May of 1985 on Interstate 84 at the base of Stormville Mountain in the East Fishkill Fire District in Dutchess County. A tandem T/T lost its brakes as it was traveling west-bound down a steep grade and drove over a car pinning its two adult occupants..... Miraculously, i believe they escaped with non life threatening injuries........ This was just one of those accidents you will always remember....... I have shots of another accident also on I-84 that is even more incredible than this one and maybe I'll post them in the future.......Sorry the quality isn't the best (Although they're not that bad) as my slide scanner isn't that good..........Bill

219157619-XL.jpg

East Fishkill Firefighter, EMS personnel, NYSP, and a few civilians work to free the occupants from their auto.

219157497-L.jpg

Personnel continue to work on treating and extricating the victims.....

219157703-L.jpg

A wrecker was used to pull the truck off the car......

219157812-L.jpg

A Firefighter holds a light over the vehicle as the extrication continues.

219157973-L.jpg

Now that the extrication is complete, the NYSP begins to interview witnesses.

[

219157778-L.jpg

Off comes the roof......The trucks driver was in shock and he repeatedly got in and out of the cab. Here he's in the cab....

219158010-L.jpg

FF's look over the wreckage......

219158478-L.jpg

How could anybody survive that?.......

219158416-L.jpg

I loved the NYSP's "Tijuana Taxi" color scheme of the mid-80's...... Now that we (NYS) are giving drivers licenses to the illegals, maybe the state police should go back to these colors.....

Bill - Thanks for posting photos on Protection From The Past. This thread is always looking for photos being shared by members.

This incident looks terrible. Hope a full recovery was possible

loved the NYSP's "Tijuana Taxi" color scheme of the mid-80's...... Now that we (NYS) are giving drivers licenses to the illegals, maybe the state police should go back to these colors.....

I also remember seeing the Grand Fury NYSP cars from the 1980's. The troopers did not have portable radios and were forced to put the two way radio on the PA speaker at scene. The trooper would dash back to his car to answer Hawthorne.

Thanks again , look forward to more photos from your collection.

Bill, great photos yet again, and I love the reminiscing. Even though it was WELL before my time (yea, I was 1 year old att) it is still great to see these pics. Now if only I was able to identify anyone...

Bill - Thanks for posting photos on Protection From The Past. This thread is always looking for photos being shared by members.

This incident looks terrible. Hope a full recovery was possible

I also remember seeing the Grand Fury NYSP cars from the 1980's. The troopers did not have portable radios and were forced to put the two way radio on the PA speaker at scene. The trooper would dash back to his car to answer Hawthorne.

Thanks again , look forward to more photos from your collection.

TR54 - You are welcome......... I was trying to figure out where to post these and then I saw the sub category "Classic incidents" which this truly was.... I am glad I found these ..... Hopefully someone else will add or correct my details as I know many of the people in these images are STILL active in EFFD ......I have some other stuff that would probably be magazine material if it happened today that I'll probably post at a later time .......

xfirefighter484x - Thanks..... I would think that these would be popular within your organization....... I can name a few people..... Of course the one and only Chief Steve Schultis and his Asst Chief Howie.... Can't remember his last name - Hey it's early......Then there is Mike Gallo and I think Rita is in there...... And Kevin Gysen is in there too...... Frank Ruffino.......

Wow, talk about a blast from the past, I'm sure some of the people in those pictures would be surprised to see these...

Wow, talk about a blast from the past, I'm sure some of the people in those pictures would be surprised to see these...

And I'm sure they remember it very well....... It's one of those incidents that sticks with you....

WOW! Very cool vintage photos......thanks for sharing them with us!

Thanks guys....... I'm working on something else now.....

Excellent photos! Thank you for sharing. Looks like it was a great effort by all involved to facilitate the extrication. Nice to see the old NYSP color scheme too, and old gear styles! :D And does that state troopers have a set of bullets on the back of his belt? Thanks!

-Joe DA BUFF

Those pics are great! Poor TT driver...look in the mirror, he must have felt awful! As for the car's driver, did they live? If so, must have had one hell of a headache!!!!!

In the first picture in that gallery, what is that old GMC apparatus to the far left? Is that EFFD's?

Nope, that is Beekman's Rescue truck, which was called in m/a for the 2nd MVA on 84 at that time.

It is Millbrook's former Rescue truck, donated (or purchased for very minimal amount) after the apparatus accident and LODD Beekman had a few years back.

Excellent photos! Thank you for sharing. Looks like it was a great effort by all involved to facilitate the extrication. Nice to see the old NYSP color scheme too, and old gear styles! :D And does that state troopers have a set of bullets on the back of his belt? Thanks!

-Joe DA BUFF

Yes, those are bulllets along the back of the Trooper belt. He was most likely carrying a .357 at the time. Not sure if they carried speed loaders at this time.

I love seeing vintage photos like this....great to see how things have changed, and what hasn't changed too ;)

Ha !!! I see my grandmother in those pictures... And its real nice seeing the HYATT'S wrecker seeing as I work for them and we still cover 84

Ha !!! I see my grandmother in those pictures... And its real nice seeing the HYATT'S wrecker seeing as I work for them and we still cover 84

Your dad is in photo #4.............

Photounit, EFFD car two at the time was Howard Travis, I also see the current Chief of station three Phil Riccata (spelling). Thinking of the past I remember assisting NKFD at a structure fire on 376 back in the mid 80s, I rode in with then Chief Fran Daniels, I remember you humping an inch and a half to the front door with your cammeras swinging from your side!

I had brain lapse ....Travis, Howard Travis........ I thought that was Phil Ricotta and "I remember you humping an inch and a half to the front door with your camera's swinging from your side!"

That's called multi-tasking........ I wish I had a dollar for every hydrant I wrung while taking photo's! ;)

I get a kick out of seeing the old pictuers!! Love it!!!!! :lol: Keep them coming! The people in that car were lucky, they don"t make cars like that anymore.Don't think airbags would have done any help. It was just plain steel that saved them!! " THERES ROOM TO LIVE" LOL a quote from an old drivers ed film :P