Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JetPhoto

What is the most difficult vehicle to perform extrication on?

24 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I did a big extrication (besides a door pop) I was wondering if their was a particular vehicle that gave you the most trouble during the extrication?

How did you overcome the problem?

Never cut a Subaru before but I heard they can be a pain in the...

Saturn's are a little different, because the body is made from plastic. So when you use the spreaders the plastic doesn't bend, it just cracks, so you have to end up like peeling it off... its a little weird and you just have to go about doing things a little differently.

I heard that the Chevy SSR's A-post is a B***h to cut through. Never had to cut one, but thats just word of mouth.

I'd have to agree that Saturns and any newer car with plastic body panels are the biggest pain. There is very little to get a bite on unlike older cars with metal panelling. Better to peel it away and then use a cutter or sawsall to cut the nader pin. I have heard some of the new Volvo's are coming out with Boron steel for their posts. Older cutters have alot of trouble with it, though most newer cutters shouldn't have a problem as long as you are cutting near the notch and not at the tips for maximum force.

Edited by RescueEngine4

Well Saturns, mainly for their sub structure is difficult yo cut and spread. I never had an issue with the plastic body because most of the time, the impact really shattered the plastic body. Volvos are also notorious for their "body cages" and could be difficult especially with their re-enforcing impact bars and such.

I hear volvos are some of the worst, never had to do one on a volvo, but I know the A pillars are almost impossible to cut through. A sawsall is usually the only way to get through the post, expecially on the new C70 convertable.

out here at school I find alot of mercedes and BMW's they always tend to have alot of security and saftey features that get in the way during extrications. About 2 months ago we had to roll the dash on a Mercedes C class and it was not easy...I think that it had something to do with the firewall that mercedes has....but those cars are safe...

I heard that the alloy used by mercedes and others on high end performance models eats saw blades as a light snack.

I vote for coach buses. By far that was the most challenging extrication I have ever participated in.

Never cut a Subaru before but I heard they can be a pain in the...

Subaru Outback since there is no frame for the window around the door.The "B" post has multiple layers of metal.I think 4 layers. The B post just from the top of the door frame to the roof weighs about 20 to 25 lbs. Very hard to cut even with the HURST EXTRACTOR. You are better off cutting it with a sawzall. For more info go to Subaru.com. Really good pictures of the re-enforced frame. I never had the opportunity to cut a Coach Bus.

Edited by x134

each vehicle has its own problems but from a patient access/stabilization stand point any vehicle that is a coupe, not much room in the back

Another issue with the newer Volvos, is the number of airbags. A newer model of SUV from Volvo has airbag systems in the Headliner between the C and D posts, as well as another system along the D-Post. These are all in addition to the other airbags already found. Volvo isn't the only company adding as more aire bags either, aren't BMW, Mercedes and other high end makes doing it too?

Edited by CVFD63

my buddys truck he had a collison, its a ford f350 with a 48 inch lift!!!!

each vehicle has its own problems but from a patient access/stabilization stand point any vehicle that is a coupe, not much room in the back

If you are talking of patient access how about a caged police car.

I think todays accident with the Amtrak train on top of a rail car must have been a challenge. It sounds like they had to bend some metal in the engine car to get the operators out.

Any vehicle that's upside down.

Fairview(Dutchess) had an MVA w/pin a while back at the intersection of Inwood/Bahret. Camaro into the woods, ontop the problems of trees the fiber glass contruction of the vehicle made extrication a difficult task.

Fairview(Dutchess) had an MVA w/pin a while back at the intersection of Inwood/Bahret. Camaro into the woods, ontop the problems of trees the fiber glass contruction of the vehicle made extrication a difficult task.

The toughest ones, by far, that I've been involved with, [as a cutter or paramedic] are a 'double wrap'. It takes about 50 mph, a slick road, a tight descending turn... and an 18" diameter tree [ telephone poles appear to break or give first]. I'm guessing the driver oversteers mid turn in response to excess speed, the car cuts loose, slides sideways, hits the tree at the A post driver's side and wraps once to about 35 degrees, holding onto enough energy that it releases from the tree and rolls up along the roof and wraps a second time along the roof.

Presentation on arrival is bottom of the car facing out, driver's side to earth with the tree through the windshield, possibly pinning occupants. I've seen it 4 times, almost as identical accidents.

Primary issues are:

It's highly unstable and cribbing is of limited value given the height of the car.

Gasoline is leaking and is an inhalation and fire threat.

Occupant seriously injured, perhaps including crush injuries depending how far the tree trunk penetrated.

Patient access is only through the passenger door, now facing the sky.

If multiple occupants, there are 'stacked' patients with the critical ones on the bottom.

Secondary issues are:

The battery is inaccessible, and either horn or stereo is on.

There isn't time or space to immobilize 'minor' injuries prior to clearing them from the scene to access critical patients.

There is almost no working space interior.

There is so little structural integrity that spreading and ramming tend punch holes rather than move metal.

So.... what do you do now? Obviously, stretch a couple of lines, stabilize the car, probably by tying off to the tree, call for a helicopter and a second ambulance. But how do you extricate the driver on the bottom of the heap with a door in his lap and his feet under the pedals?

There's only gone way I've seen to get them out. How would you do it?

I was on this pin back on Nov 1, 2003 where the speeding car went off the road airbourne flipped over and went hed on in to a cement wall upside down. One victims arm was under the car.

PB010358.jpg

PB010360.jpg

ckroll...outside of winching the car off the tree and then flapping down the roof I'd have to go with a sawzall and try and cut the seat lose to try and slip out from under the door and the pedals to free his feet.