Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LFD171

Fairview New Engine

4 posts in this topic

From Journal News legal notices 11/20/07: Fairview Fire District seeking bids for:

"One triple combination severe service pumper"

They are looking to replace Engine 176, a 1992 Pierce Arrow.

Among the demo's they've looked at are an HME/Ahrens Fox "Alleycat" and a KME Severe Service Predator that is part of the LA County add-on order program.

I think the KME Predator Severe Service would fit their needs well. I've had numerous chances to go over the LA Engines in the LACoFD shops as well as ride along on calls with LACoFD on these Engines, and they are really, really nice. They are built to serve in one of the busiest FD's in the world, and they are also built to be easy to maintain and use.

Can't wait to see who wins, and for the apparatus to be delievered!

For those of you (like myself) who were wondering what exactly a "Triple Combination Pumper" is...

From Firehouse.com (found via Google search)

Fire Apparatus: Past and Present

By John A. Calderone

Another off-shoot of motorization was the development of a single piece of apparatus, the triple-combination pumper, that would eventually become the standard apparatus for most engine companies throughout the country. Until that time, most engine companies operated with two distinct apparatus, a steamer and either a hose wagon or combination hose wagon equipped with chemical extinguishment equipment.

The triple-combination pumper incorporated all of these functions onto one motorized vehicle. The first such vehicle was constructed by Tea Tray Company, a small New Jersey builder in 1909, on an American Motors chassis and delivered to Middletown, NY.

Steve, glad you posted it. It is amazing how many people don't understand the old "triple" term. People should know there firefighter history if they want to be one.