Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

LODD - Volusia County FL Fire Rescue

7 posts in this topic

Firefighter Killed In Training Exercise

POSTED: 12:14 pm EST November 27, 2007

UPDATED: 1:08 pm EST November 27, 2007

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- A Volusia County firefighter died on Tuesday following an accident during a training exercise.

It happened at the county's Fire Training Center on Tiger Bay Road near Daytona Beach.

Authorities said the accident happened during an exercise to prepare for brush fires.

The 31-year-old victim was a member of the Firewalkers team. The team was cutting down trees and clearing brush in the exercise when a pine tree fell on the firefighter. He had been with Volusia County Fire Services since January 2007.

The facility is used by local and regional firefighters.

The fire fighter who passed away was Rookie Firefighter John Curry, 30 years old. He was married with 2 children.

Although he was a member of my department, I did not know of him personally, since it is a county wide department with many members, but we are all still taking his passing hard. I'll post funeral announcements in the coming days.

Thoughts and Prayers to his family and fellow firefighters in Volusia County.

May he Rest In Peace, and may his family both at home and the department take comfort in these sad days ahead.

May he rest in Peace and may God grant his family, friends, and his brothers and sisters in the Voluisa County Fire Services, the strength to get through this tragedy.