Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wearing his seatbelt, was ejected from the vehicle?

13 posts in this topic

This dont make any sence to me, How can someone get ejected Wearing seatbelt??

A 19-year-old Candor man died from injuries sustained in a one-car crash Thursday morning on state Route 96B in the Town of Candor.

Brett Ross was driving south on Route 96B when his vehicle left the roadway, struck a guardrail and rolled over several times. Ross, who was wearing his seatbelt, was ejected from the vehicle, the sheriff’s office said.

Ross was treated at the scene by members of the Candor Ambulance Squad and Guthrie Air Crew before being airlifted to Robert Packer Hospital where he later died from his injuries, the sheriff’s office said. The cause of the crash is undetermined.

Tioga County Sheriff's deputies were assisted at the scene by members of the Candor Fire Department, Candor Ambulance Squad and the Tioga County Sheriff's Office Accident Investigation Team.

This dont make any sence to me, How can someone get ejected Wearing seatbelt??

I imagine it is possible that some portion of the seatbelt failed.

If you rollover at a good velocity and numerous times I have seen video where a person can still come free from a shoulder strap harness.

Also as someone stated, it could have been a failure of some part of the mechanism or the forces involved, much like what happened to Dale Earnhardt's seatbelt and the "dumping" that explained how it failed.

I was involved in a head on collision a few years ago, and the impact was sufficient to cause total failure of the buckle, so from personal experience, it IS possible.

Wow Doc. Thanks for sharing that and I'm glad that your outcome wasn't like the one in the article.

i remember a couple years ago right down the road from me a kid in a souped up civic hit a tree at about 120-130... the amout of force on the vehicle caused the seat BOLTS to fail and ejected victim and seat.. unfortunatly the tree and victim died

i remember a couple years ago right down the road from me a kid in a souped up civic hit a tree at about 120-130... the amout of force on the vehicle caused the seat BOLTS to fail and ejected victim and seat.. unfortunatly the tree and victim died

I was going to mention that......didnt he have a racing 5 point harness on the seat as well? It kept him buckled, but he should have used better bolts!

yeah he did indeed have a 5 point harness..... which by the way is illegal in New York State for some reason, you can have them installed but you also have to keep the stock belt system installed, and CANNOT be (caught) wearing the 5 point harness on the streets. idk what the reasoning is behind this, is there a police officer out there who can comment on why this is?

Unfortunately, drivers wearing seat belts get ejected quite frequently. The seatbelt generally keeps you from being eject through the windshield. I have seen several people that have gotten eject through the sun roof, side windows, and rear windshield.

There are many factors that have to be taken into account, was the driver strapped in properly? How many times have you seen a driver with the shoulder strap behind them so the are basically only wearing a lap belt. The velocity of the impact can cause the devices to fail. The speed of the rotation and the direction of the rotation has alot to do with it as well. One of the biggest factors that I have come across is the posture of the driver. So many drivers recline their seats so that they are almost driving from the back seat. This creates a void between the driver and the safety restraints. This small space allows he driver to create massive momentum. That momentum can translate into an incredible shock load (think rope rescue loads). This load impact combine with the structural damage involved in the crash can cause material failures.

Also, with the driver (or passenger) being so reclined, if the car were to spin, and strike an object iin reverse, the seatbelt will do nothing to keep the driver stationary. The impact, plus the angle of the seat back almost create a launch ramp for the patient.

I also have seen at a crash site a seatbelt hooked in the safe position and a drive ejected. It was found that the driver had hooked it in place prior to getting in the car and driving to avoid the sound that cars make to tell you to put your seatbelt on. So now it looks as if you had your belt on but you don't.

Just my 2 cents

i

remember a couple years ago right down the road from me a kid in a souped up civic hit a tree at about 120-130... the amout of force on the vehicle caused the seat BOLTS to fail and ejected victim and seat.. unfortunatly the tree and victim died

I actually have witnessed something just like that not to long ago. Enough force and a seat belt doesnt matter.

I do not know why this topic was locked, especially without an explanation from the moderator. I do NOT agree that it should have been locked, I believe it may have been in error, or possibly requested by the topic starter.

This topic is reopened, and I do apologize and will look into the issue.

See this thread for further information on the lock:

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=21867

Thanks Seth, Thanks ya'll for explaning that