Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

66th Pearl Harbor Aniversery

8 posts in this topic

Today marks the 66th aniversery of the Pearl Harbor attack. It was called a date that would live in infamy by FDR. Never forger all those who died in the attacks on Pearl Harbor

Today marks the 66th aniversery of the Pearl Harbor attack. It was called a date that would live in infamy by FDR. Never forget all those who died in the attacks on Pearl Harbor

Amen, brother!

Never forget any of the sacrifices made by our armed forces!

I hope AMC will have some great commemorative movies on

I Hope we never forget!

God Bless the Men & Women still serving in Harms way!

I was begining to think I was the only one who remembered. Local newspaper = not a mention, local morning news = not a mention. Thanks for remembering and for the post, and thank you to all who sacrificed on December 7th, 1941.

SLEEPY HOLLOW - Pearl Harbor was remembered today by about 50 people who braved a frigid Hudson River wind to honor those who gave their lives in the Dec. 7, 1941, Japanese attack that thrust the United States into World War II.

"You have to appreciate and understand what that greatest generation did for us,'' Mayor Philip Zegarelli said in keynote remarks. "We're here today because those people stood up.''

The 10 a.m. ceremony was held at Horan's Landing, named after army private John Horan, a village native who was killed at Pearl Harbor while firing a machine gun at strafing Japanese planes over Hickham Field. Horan was the first of more than 2,000 Westchester residents who gave their lives during the war.

"I can't believe it's been 66 years,'' said Armondo "Chick" Galella, a Pearl Harbor veteran who grew up with Horan and is largely responsible for the creation of Horan's Landing. "I remember it like it was yesterday. The time goes so fast, but I do think people still remember and acknowledge what happened at Pearl Harbor.''

article came out on the 7th, porb be in tomorrows paper

116998_thumb.jpg116997_thumb.jpg

HONORING OUR HISTORY AS AMERICAN FIREFIGHTERS

Friday, December 7, 2007

Today is a rough day for many Americans and Firefighters, even if you didn’t realize it. While some others might barely remember why, we remember. If you were around on Dec. 7, 1941, you will definitely never forget what the date means and how it impacted our nation. Today is Pearl Harbor Day. Remembering the attack at Pearl Harbor is directly remembered by fewer each year...as the "greatest generation" continues to pass on. The attack on Pearl Harbor left a toll of 2,388 dead and 1,178 wounded...including Firefighters (read on)....and pushed the United States into World War II.

We had a chance to again visit Pearl Harbor just a few weeks ago-and it is clear that in Hawaii, the attack and those who lost their lives, has NEVER been forgotten. We were privileged to see Pearl Harbor through the private words and eyes of a wonderful and very proud Federal Fire Department (Hawaii) Battalion Chief...who, when showing us around, continued to use the words "OUR history" and "OUR Nation"...his message was clear to us. Pearl Harbor happened to us. Everyone of us.

It’s 2007 and we are at war now as well. In WW2, it wasn’t just the soldiers who went to war-EVERYONE got involved and made a difference to protect our Country-and defeat the enemies. Today we need to remember those who served, those who were lost and those who survived the attacks in 1941. We must keep their memory alive as a reminder that they paid the highest price for OUR freedom. And we also must remember the young women and men who are serving overseas-today-right now as you read this stuff, they are serving you and I.

During the Pearl Harbor attack. 3 Engine Companies of the Honolulu (Hawaii) Fire Department, (Engines 1, 4, and 6) were dispatched to fight the fires caused by enemy attack. HFD Fire Captain John Carreira, Captain Thomas Macy and Hoseman Harry Pang all gave their lives in the Line of Duty. 6 other Firefighters were wounded while fighting fires at Hickam Field: Fire Lt. Frederick Kealoha, Hosemen Moses Kililikani, John A. Gilman, Solomon Naauao, Patrick McCabe and George Correa. All of these Firefighters were awarded Purple Hearts and became the only civilian Firefighters in the U.S. to do so.

Freedom includes the right to feel what you wish regarding our current military deployment. But either way and no matter what, we must very aggressively and proactively protect our freedom from attacks by the known and unknown enemies. The enemies who plan and would love to take it away from us...and would do so in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, those who hate what we have, what we stand for, what we believe in and how we live as Americans, offer us no options.

Need a reminder? Go here...quickly:

http://www.fdnylodd.com/9-11-Never-Forget/...-Of-Heroes.html

The following are some excellent links with video related to remembering December 7, 1941.

http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/pearlharbor/

http://www.nps.gov/archive/usar/ExtendWeb1.html

Our sincere thanks to ALL who have served and are serving OUR Country in our Armed Forces and Military/Federal Fire & Rescue Services.

From Firefighter Close calls

Thank you for remembering. Unfortunately, I was unable to get onto the board due to work the past couple of days. I almost missed this post.

As the Grandson and Cousin of survivors, I try to post a reminder every year in rememberance of their duty that day. My Grandfather spent the entire war recupperating from his wounds, going back into regular service in 1946. My Cousin became a Warrant Officer and stayed in until he retired. They both served on the USS California.