Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Sleepy Hollow DPW "Winging It"

7 posts in this topic

post-11-1197582146.jpg

I realize that most people who can answer this question are out there operating the equipment right now, lol, but hopefully one of you knows or could provide me with more information.

In my never ending quest to photograph the municipal apparatus that clears our roadways during snowstorms, this morning I went to a few local DPW yards in hopes of capturing some of the many trucks getting ready to roll this afternoon.

One that stood out was Sleepy Hollow DPW. They have a great fleet, and I noticed that they had "winged" plows, which are typically used on highways and not found in many local DPW yards.

I was under the impression that Route 9 and Route 117 were plowed by NYS DOT. I thought I knew all of Sleepy Hollow, but am I missing something? Doe SH-DPW plow these roads? Or do they use the "wing" technique to cover a two lane side street in one swoop? I'm always interested in DPW operations and an information junkie, so if anyone could fill me in I'd appreciate it!

post-11-1197582213.jpg

Sleepy Hollow DPW covers RT.9 up to Phelps Memorial Hospital using the fleet in the picture.

Sleepy Hollow DPW'S fleet is very impressive and they do the best job i think in the county.

It is common that NYS DOT contracts with the local municipalities for snow removal on many of the state highways.

Up here in dutchess county, the town of pawling has side wings on most of the trucks to help push back the shoulders of the roads. This action in the long run helps out expecially if its a heavy snow season and the shoulders of the road get packed with alot of snow. Otherwise , eventually the snow would just fall back on the road after you plow it.

Almost all towns and villages that have state roads within the town or village have a contract with the state to cover the part of the state road or help with the plowing/salting, like the boston post road that runs down the shore comm. from Port Chester to the bronx line.

Yes it allows to open the roads up quicker with less man power. I have seen on several vehicles where brackets were fabricated and attached with vise grips so they can operate driver alone. Along with pushing back the snowbanks it also allows the highway dept "shelf" the banks when more snow is predicted "HOPEFULLY" eliminating the narrow road syndrome.

I know that the State usually uses 2 persons in the trucks, right? Is it safe to use the wing with no spotter on that side of the truck? Just seems risky to have to pay attention to the road, traffic, and still make sure the wing doesn't accidentally damage anything or kill anyone...

I appreciate all the work these crews do, even though I have a 4WD vehicle and love driving in the SNOW! I also think that my Village does an excellent job, considering they have like 9 trucks on the road to handle 1 Square mile! Sorry 1054, had to shout you out like that!