Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
INIT915

Three Mount Vernon Firefighters Promoted, Another Posthumously Honored

3 posts in this topic

Three Mount Vernon firefighters promoted, another posthumously honored

By DESIREE GRAND

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: December 14, 2007)

MOUNT VERNON -City officials held a promotion ceremony yesterday for three firefighters and posthumously honored another who, at the time of his death, was next in line to become a lieutenant.

Mayor Ernest Davis and fire officials presented a plaque to the family of Raymond Vanderberg for the service the firefighter had committed to the department and the city.

"We take the time to recognize a special man famous for his one liners. He said, 'Leadership is action, not words,'" said Fire Chief Al Everett. "He was a proud and dedicated firefighter and a man of principles. He represented the best of Mount Vernon."

Vanderberg was awaiting the promotion when he died of a heart attack in 2005 on his way to work.

The three firefighters promoted to lieutenant yesterday were Justin Chase, an 11-year veteran; Joseph Dalo, an 18-year veteran; and Kenneth Grant, with 17 years of experience. All have received multiple citations for bravery.

Deputy Fire Commissioner Deborah Norman told the new lieutenants to use their leadership positions wisely.

"Everyone knows firefighters are heroes, but they don't always know about the sacrifice they do every day and the challenge of working together," Norman said.

Vanderberg was appointed to the department in 1993. His wife, Tayrn Vanderberg, called her husband an activist who was active in recruitment drives and increased the diversity of the Fire Department. He was a member of the Vulcans, a black firefighters organization.

"This is the first time he and all his work was recognized by the city," she said. "I believe it was long overdue, and I appreciate everyone who made it happen."

Vanderberg was also posthumously honored by the International Association of Black Professional Firefighters in 2005.

Davis called Vanderberg "dogmatic and vociferous in what he believed."

"Too many people try to slide through life in the most unobtrusive way. He was a dedicated firefighter who loved his job; the work he has done will long speak for him," Davis said.

This past summer the city announced the planned promotion of two firefighters to lieutenant, but the move was put on hold after protests from the Vulcans, who alleged the city was passing over black candidates. The controversy stemmed from the Civil Service list used to promote firefighters.

Firefighter Joseph Carroll, a 20-year veteran, said he was assured by the mayor that he would be promoted since he was second on the list. Since then a new list was released and Carroll's rating slipped.

Good luck to joe,justin n kenny- kenny and justin are from group#2 and wiil be missed. its real unfortunate that us guys in group #2 are going to have to put up with Lieutenant Joe Dalo, hey joe-with that 19.5 % raise maybe you can go out and buy a real tackle box with some real lures instead of the diaper box you have been using over the years! lol Welcome to group #2.

Congrats to the new Lt's, I'm sure they deserve the promotion, but I am OUTRAGED that FF Carroll was SCREWED by Mayor Davis! Personally, I feel the fire service is his heart and soul, and he shows that in many ways. He deserved the promotion, and I hope there is some recourse for him. I'm starting to see that more and more of the people that govern the fire service are malicous and corrupt. It's really very sad.

Just a question, was FF Vanderberg's death considered line-of-duty?

I also hope that the new Lt's get firefighters under them to supervise, on working apparatus and in livable housing conditions. Best of luck, things can only get better and there is hope with a new Mayor Jan. 1st, I just hope the current mayor stops with his "sore loser" tatics immediately, before he does even more irrepairable damage.

Sorry for the rant, I just wish I won the lottery and could fix all the problems in Mount Vernon FD.