Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RES20CUE

The role of the "Battalion Coordinators"

20 posts in this topic

First, in my opinion- the title speaks for itself "MUTUAL AID COORDINATOR"

This person does not become the Incident Commander, and should stay off the radio!!!!!!!!!

-Vital communications need to happen, and need to be heard, especially on Westchester's congested air waves, no body cares about info comming from a County Car- who is in charge of nothing, other than getting mutual aid units when the Incident Commander requests it. The Battalion coordinator should not be giving Size-Up info, or anything else, that is the IC's job!!!!

As examples, Twice- a report was given at recent fires, by the "Battalion" reporting "fire doubtful" and less than 5 minutes later, the IC reported a 10-30. Also, at another area fire, "The Battalion" reported "Fire under control" and the IC never said that- the IC reported 10-30 about 15-20 minutes later!

Agree whole heartedly....glad to see the problem exists in other batt. seems these guys get a radio, a car number and red lights and suddenly they are in charge of every dept. in the batt. I know of many cases that the batt. has been told to leave the scene just as years ago cnty car one was also...not to mention the fact that he crashed and totaled his car going to buff an alarm...they are a good tool for a large scale incident to ASSIST at the command post...and that is all they are supposed to do!

I remember the original reason for the county having 46.14 mgz. was for the Coordinators. Is this still the proper channel for them?

If not ,,, Couldn't 46.14 mgz be used more often by moblie radios on a scene.Years ago that channel was a "Back Up" for 26 and you should not use it because it was for the County cars!

My opinion may be more of a post about radios ,, but really I'm tring to say these progress reports must be from the IC not the Battolion M/A coordinator.

Never really understood the job of the batt until now.

Batt. 18 was at the Mt Vernon structure fire today. He called on scene, and stayed off the radio. Called 60 to notify them the fire was under control, and that mutual aid was being released before placing himself back in service. Seems to me that he did a good job, sitting back and waiting till the IC need something, while being able to communicate directly with the mutual aid companies that were standing by at station 3.

Do these Battalions get paid, or is this volunteer?

Batt's are over rated, yes they can be used at large scale incidents, but a simple structure fire can be handled by the IC, if he/she needs help let them ask for it.

Battalions are volunteer.

Battalion Coordinators are not necessarily "Volunteers". They are employed by the County and receive a stipend.

we need more indians than chiefs!

Actually if you look at the job outline for a Coordinator it is to work among the departments in the battalion and get drills arranged among them. He is also supposed to attend various drills that the diffrent departments hold.

I think that the Battalion Coordinators are actually doing a better job now then they have been in the last several years. I also think that the "incident size up" over the radio is an excellent idea, and should be done on all jobs. This can be either the IC or at his direction done by the Batt. Chief. Either way it is something that should be done so that the companies that are mutual aid for the department operating can get an idea if they will be going or not. I agree this should be with the approval of the IC, I will not say that your point about that is wrong, but the position has come a long way. Well, at least for the few that are taking it the extra yard.

maybe you should be looking at all the good they have done recently. Just because the prior coordinater didn't do his job, and the new one on the block is dedicated and trying to help everyone. Take his experience and knowledge and use it to benefit your dept.He has a big enough job and does not need to run your scenes. Just assist you . So stop cryng and complaining about them

I too agree that they are doing a Great Job,Katonah and our area Batt. we did not have a strong showing for a long time , Its Great to see John at the calls he is Doing a Great job in my Opinion.I will stick my neck out there as an Ex-Chief and say I would have liked to seen him around when I was Chief so Thanks John and Keep up the good work and that is meant to all of the County Co Ordinators. Also if any body has any Concerns call them and tell them they will listen to it.

Never said they are doing a bad job, I had used them more then once and the get all the resources we needed right away. Like a second set of hands.

Just the old batt would come in and try to take over a scene, saw that more then once.

A smart IC would assign the County Batts as Logistics section chiefs in the ICS. They would be tasked with getting "stuff" needed to help maintain the incident, ie field comm, red cross, salvation army, heavy machinery, etc.

I would have to agree with the upper postings. I do not see a point in having a Bat. Chief with lights and sirens responding to other agencies calls and acting as "help." I could possibly see the need for this in a large scale incident, but not EVERY "good " sounding call. I have heard nothing but complaints regarding the Bat. Chief in the ********* area. Why is it necessary? Daday's right... if they need more help, THEY WILL ASK. "Fire is doubtful?"

I've heard some calls lately where there was no command until the batt. chief got there.

Besides it seems like if the IC is handling the situation the Batt. goes 10-8 fairly quickly at some of these calls.

Fire is Doubtful" sounds alittle funny but sometimes its more of a size up then some IC's out there are giving you

A few of the last posts refer to the bat. coordinators as bat. chiefs. They are not chiefs.

They should by no means take command at an incident. Some of them have never been chiefs in as much as their own departments.

As far as the command structure goes in my own department, we go by the chain of command as to who is usually in command of an incident. Chief, asst. chief's, Capt, loo's, ex chiefs and firefighter by seniority.

Further, if an officer has established command of an incident, when a chief arrives, command transfer is not implied. There have been chiefs in the past that has seen the incident is run well, they assist, or release themselves. When command is transfered, it is done by filling in the new commanding officer with the details of the incident.

mt. kisco doesn't have any fires, but it seems like were going to alot more mutual aid calls. it's got to be a tough position to do because of our own oppinions of how the perfect fire is supposed to happen. maybe a meeting with him is on order but i think he's trying to help and he's new to the possition and over time things will work out but he needs your input to make a change. he's defanetly agressive but we also have to look at what was there before him. we're use to nobody being there but the possition was. does liability also play a role? it seems like C.Y.A. is a big factor. what does the county tell him to do? i'm sure he's open for discussion so tell him your concerns!

p.s. send the firebug to mount kisco, it's been to long!