Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firefighter36

Duty Uniforms

4 posts in this topic

I was wondering what everyone's perscribed duty uniform is. I am aiming for Fire Personnel, Career or Volunteer (some departments supply uniforms for standbys, etc.), who wear a uniform in the course of their station duties.

1. What materials? Poly/Cotton, 100% Cotton, Nomex?

2. NFPA Complaince

3. Color (Officer/ FF)

4. Patches, or Brass? (I.e. Badge patch, Collar Brass?)

5. Polo Shirts to be FUNCTIONAL alternatives to uniform shirts?

6. Uniform shorts? what is everyone's views? what are your bosses view?

7. EMS style pants? What Fire Departments wear them? What do the people and bosses think?

Here are my concerns:

1. Badges and Collar Brass and Name plates getting caught up in coats/ suspenders, weight of the shirt.

2. Cost vs NFPA compliance, since we wear PPE over our uniforms? What is everyone's opinion?

3. What is more comfortable? What is more Functional?

4. Career guys, do you get a uniform allowance or does the department absorb all the costs?

5. Who performs care or maintenence?

Thanks for the feedback!

I was wondering what everyone's perscribed duty uniform is. I am aiming for Fire Personnel, Career or Volunteer (some departments supply uniforms for standbys, etc.), who wear a uniform in the course of their station duties.

1. What materials? Poly/Cotton, 100% Cotton, Nomex?

You want to stay away from 100% cotton, because when it gets wet it takes forever to dry. Also when it is wet it looses all of its thermal properties, so if you get wet in the winter you will need to be thawed out...

cotton tshirts, cotton or poly/cotton uniform shirt, poly cotton jeans, or nomex brush pants, hopefully going to cotton fatigue style pants, cotton polo shirts (for non - public business)

green pants, tan or green tee shirts, tan uniform shirts for all, white dress shirts for supervisors

nomex pants would be preferable, as then only have to add brush shirt or coat for fires

cotton would be much prefered over poly as it would breathe

Summer: Tactical 5.11 navy shorts...100% cotton or BDU style shorts with golf shirts. Love it...recommend it to anyone who has an open minded agency that allows common sense uniforms for the job.

Otherwise...most of the FF/Medics wear the ESU trouser by Park Uniforms or now I think its Elbeco that makes them also. Great pockets for holding things and comfortable. They also are on the thicker side and mine last often for years without a hint of fading. We still wear uniform shirts for certain details..but I'd like to see them get held back even more or at least let us get rid of the badges, name tags and collar brass. They are functional for the job often get broken of ripped off and are a puncture hazard.