Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Does CO exposure increase the risk of having a Heart Attack?

3 posts in this topic

I was catching up on some reading, and I think it was Fire Rescue from September 2007 that had an article I started reading on firefighter deaths. Hopefully, everyone in the fire service is aware that there are about 50 or so deaths annually from heart related incidents. This article was talking about the effects of CO and Carboxyhaemoglobin (COHB). I'm not a medical guy, but it seemed to make sense to me that fire fighters get exposed to more CO than most people, and may be a factor to the number of MI's that we see in the service. Made me wonder what my COHB level is - does anyone have that as part of their annual physical?

Personally, I've been more aware of the dangers during overhaul and am more inclined to use my SCBA during overhaul than 10 years ago. However, we've never talked about this at the dept level. Has anyone used a meter in an overhaul situation? Anyone have formal policies about SCBA during overhaul? I'd be curious to know what others think of this topic.

In doing a quick google search, I found a couple of links on CO levels, and ironically, someone just started a thread on firehouse.com about CO levels during overhaul (not much response to that yet though)

http://www.coheadquarters.com/ZerotoMillion1.htm

Pleasant Valley

Short-term exposure (e.g 8 hours or less)

35-50 Symptoms can include sleepy, tired, flu-like symptoms. Recommend not to exceed 1 hour continuous exposure.

50-87 Symptoms same as above. Recommend not to exceed 30 minutes continuous exposure.

Greater than 87 Symptoms same as above. Recommended not to exceed 15 minutes continuous exposure.

Greater than 200 Symptoms can include sleepy, tired, flu-like symptoms plus headache and throbbing temples. Evacuate.

Greater than 400 Symptoms can include severe headaches, weakness, dizziness/nausea and vomiting, collapse. Evacuate.

Greater than 460 Coma/death possible. Evacuate.

This is a very interesting topic, one which should not be taken for granted.

When CO enters the bloodstream it displaces the oxygen, and that's one concern when it comes to strenuous activity.

Working hard in a contaminated atmosphere can put a lot of stress otherwise healthy people, and could lead to problems.

There is probably more CO exposure during overhaul since smoldering fuel is a great source of the gas, and guys do take off their masks once the "heavy-stuff" clears.

This is also another great time to consider where Positive Pressure Ventilation can really help "clear the air".

I am no longer personally exposed to this threat, but people who are ought to take some readings during the process, just to be certain.

It was a great article and yes I do think that CO is a contributing factor. Right up there with the fact that most of us do not take care of our bodies for the stresses the fire service puts on it, so CO, with that double cheeseburger with the large fries probably is doing it...buts its ok...it'll get washed down with a Diet Coke...lol.

On a serious note, keep in mind the risks that are coming to light that many firefighters are being exposed to and retaining for long periods of time...cyanide. While most of us are always thinking CO, CO, CO...cyanide is making us sick and at numbers that are unbelievable.