Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Harbor Master/Bay Constable/Police Marine Units

14 posts in this topic

I'm looking for information on Harbor Master/Bay Constable/Police Marine Units

Who has them? Are they paid or volunteer? Full or part-time? Civil Service or not? Types of boats; Patrol duties and schedules. How many officers? How many shifts? Pay Scales? Budgets? Funding sources?

That I know of, I am sure I missed a few more....

PD Marine Units

Yonkers PD

Tarrytown PD

Dobbs Ferry PD

Westchester County PD

NY State Park Police

NY State Police

Rockland County Sheriff

City of Rye PD

City of Peekskill PD

Village of Croton PD

Mamaroneck PD

New Rochelle PD

NYPD

Maybe we have some Marine Unit Police Officers on here that could assist you?

Dutchess County Sheriff's Office (DCSO) operates a couple of marine units on the Hudson River during the recreational boating season.

Edited by emt301

RWC,

The Tarrytown and Dobbs Ferry PD do not have their own Marine Unit persay. The Greenburgh PD is in charge of the Marine Unit which is run by Greenburgh officers, and officers from the river towns. I know that Dobbs Ferry does have man power belonging to the unit and an old GPD fly car that was repainted to Dobbs Ferry colors and is used to transport the boat. As far as I know, Tarrytown PD does not have any officers on the Marine Unit. I do believe that Sleepy Hollow PD does have an officer on the unit. Last I saw, the boat was docked in Tarrytown.

Isn't it called the Greenburgh HEAT?

Hudson Emergency A? Team??????

Question asked originally about who pays for this stuff, Taxpayers do in Yonkers as in most other jurisdictions.

The YPD Marine Unit consists of 4 full time ESU trained boating experts (so-called). One of which may be someone important to this site. Unconfirmed though cause I only see him ever cooking Sausage and Peppers and never doing any real work! J/K of course.

The YFD also has a marine unit per say, Fireboat 1 also a seasonal resource just like the PD.

However, I believe ESU can grab a Zodiac any time and Engine 308 also has a zodiac available.

Information I received is that Rockland County SO is available 365, and 366 for next year (Ooops THIS year). Unconfirmed because I haven't had to call them yet...

Yonkers also has a vintage chapter of the Volunteer Life Saving Corps which are a type of naval militia or something. Frank Kendrick (RIP) was the leader of this group, however he perished while assisting a female who attempted suicide by jumping into the Hudson in 2001. On a side note, the same woman did commit suicide this past December by jumping off the roof of her building. I don't believe there are any active members still around other than Frank's wife Kay who last I knew spent most of her days in her booth at the City Pier. (if it is still there since X2O was put in).

Edited by Oswegowind

The Greenburgh Marine unit aka HEAT (Hudson Enforcement Assistance Team) runs to vessels. Five officers from Dobbs Ferry, five officers from Greenburgh and one officer from Sleepy Hollow PD makes up the crew. NYS police also contribute manpower to this unit when manpower is low. All officers must go through a course which teaches them how to defend yourself in the water, out of the water and on obviously how to operate a vessel. During the months between May and October, the boats are used on a regular basis. Usually there is a designated crew on the water every Friday, Saturday and Sunday during the summer. They also do special callouts overnight or when a crew is not on duty. One vessel is docked in Dobbs Ferry and the other one is docked in Tarrytown marina.

Do you have to have a boat in the water to be considered a MARINE UNIT? We have 3 Boats just not docked in the HUDSON or LI SOUND. But, if need be we can give assistance with DIVERS so at that point are we a MARINE UNIT. We often DIVE in the HUDSON and LI SOUND. I wish during the warm months that we had out boats in the HUDSON considering that Sleepy Hollow is in the INCORPARATED TOWN OF MT PLEASANT.

Orange County Sheriff's Marine Unit is a Full Time Marine Unit w/ Deputies/Emts and they operate a couple of marine units on the Hudson River (26 foot Parker)during the recreational boating season from May to Oct

Orange County Sheriffs adds second boat to ‘fleet’

Goshen – The Orange County Sheriff’s Office now has a second boat and it is on loan from Greenwood Lake Police where is was used to patrol and respond to emergencies on lakes.

The county’s other craft is much larger and used to patrol the Hudson River along the county’s border.

Sheriff Carl DuBois said they are assessing the condition of the vessel to determine its potential uses for the future. Any acquisition and refurbishing would be subject to county legislature approval and DuBois said he is assessing the possibilities at this point.

The Hudson River sheriff’s boat is out of the water for the winter, but in the event of a crisis, could be returned at a moment’s notice!

post-2989-1199411794.jpg

Edited by ace84

The Yonkers Police Marine Unit is funded by NYS grant money with less than 20% of the operating cost (including salaries) falling on any municipal budget.

The Yonkers Police Marine Unit is funded by NYS grant money with less than 20% of the operating cost (including salaries) falling on any municipal budget.

Cool...

Same with the OC Sheriffs Marine Unit