Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

History Of EMS In New York-Exhibit

8 posts in this topic

The New York State Museum presents Emergency Medical Services in New York through September 11, 2005. 

In the 21st century, we expect emergency medical help to come to the aid of the seriously ill or injured, no matter where they are. It has not always been this way. 

Until the 19th century, emergency departments, even hospitals, did not exist as we know them today. First used in military campaigns, including the Civil War, horse-drawn ambulances began to bring patients to hospitals in New York's cities in the 1860s. In rural areas, first aid and ambulance transport came only with the general use of automobiles. 

Hospitals and funeral directors operated ambulances in the early 20th century. Independent rescue squads and fire departments began to provide ambulance service in the 1930s and 40s. 

Help is Here is an exciting new exhibition tracing the history of emergency medical services, both transport and treatment, in New York. It features 15 historic ambulances, dating from a 1911 horse-drawn ambulance built in Rochester, to a 1987 Medical Coaches Bluestar, one of the last van-based ambulances built in Oneonta and in service until spring 2004. In addition, there will be a sampling of historic medical equipment used in the field, historic photographs and ambulance agency memorabilia. 

Presenting sponsor is the New York State Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Services. Additional support has been provided by Laerdal Medical Corporation, United New York Ambulance Network, and Upstate Medical University. Media sponsor is EMS Magazine.

Anyone know where New York State Museum is located? Is that the one in Albany that was looking to put on the same/similar exibit a year or two ago? Is this the end result of thier search perhaps?

At the New York EMS Vitals Sign Conference a few weeks back in Buffalo they announced this at the dinner... I really don't remember where they said it would be though. I'm thinking its somewhere in central new york.

Albany could be it too though.

I went to the NYS Museum this Saturday-was up in Columbia County for the long weekend.

If you like authentic older gear, EMS history and photos, and ESPECIALLY ambulances ranging from horsedrawn to a 2004 McCoy-Miller Type II-go and take the exhibit in. I'm going back, as we forgot the camera! The S&S and Miller-Meteor conversions, achingly beautiful Cadillacs........I miss ambulances with a little grace...a little panache.

Go.

Call me.

I'll go with you.

Again.

Skooter

I'm going back, as we forgot the camera!

If you do get some pictures, send em over to me and I can put em up on the site. Or give them to seth and he can put them up here. :D

I'm going back, as we forgot the camera!

If you do get some pictures, send em over to me and I can put em up on the site. Or give them to seth and he can put them up here. :D

I say we should go on a group trip there!!

I say we should go on a group trip there!!

I'm game. On a related note, we should see about getting a small group together to go to the JEMS conference in 2005. It's in Philly again and I missed it the last time it was there. Scooter gets his own room tho since he could wake the dead with his snoring. :D

I don't wake the dead with my snoring....I TERRIFY THE S@#T out of 'em......snort snicker giggle......

Road trip in January/February...first half of the day at NYS Museum in Albany for the EMS exhibit and lunch, then to Hudson for the kick-a## Fire Museum at the Home. Any takers? Party bus?

Skooter