21 posts in this topic

EMT-B = Jack Squat

EMT-I = Jack Squat

EMT-P = Slightly more than Jack Squat

EMT-B = Jack Squat

EMT-I = Jack Squat

EMT-P = Slightly more than Jack Squat

Lol, so eloquently put!!

Do keep in mid though, this is a general statement, not just specific to Westchester. EMS doesn't tend to make a whole lot of anything in most places.

Edited by xfirefighter484x

This question has been posted before, but it seems like people aren't too quick to post their salaries.

I know an EMT-B in Westchester who makes $12/hr.

I found FDNY EMS salaries on their website:

Starting EMT-B salary: $27,295

Starting medic salary: $37,346

The salary seems to increase a bit each year of employment.

Edited by OoO

It really depends on where you work.

Commercial EMS agencies tend to be the bottom of the barrel as far as pay goes I've heard as low as in the 7 dollar/hr range up to 15/hr top for EMTs, Medics probably start out anywhere from 10/hr and can max out in the 25ish/hr range.

Private Hospital based EMS tends to pay more. For example, a number of private hospitals in NYC pay their EMTs something like 20-24/hr starting salary.

FDNY pays EMTs like 17 something/hr but, they get uniformed status, pension, and other benefits (though i have heard they will eventually bump that rate up to something in or around the 20 dollar/hr).

If you work for a VAC your looking at anywhere from probably 9 - 15 an hour.

So, point in case is....your likely making an unlivable wage and have to work 2 and 3 jobs to keep your head above water...

In the Bronx OLM*EMS EMT 21.50 -( 23.50 an hour with night diff ) Medics 24.00-(26.00 an hour with night diff)

In the Bronx OLM*EMS EMT 21.50 -( 23.50 an hour with night diff ) Medics 24.00-(26.00 an hour with night diff)

I'll confirm that...and loads of HOT JOBS!!

I'll confirm that...and loads of HOT JOBS!!

Ok, but does it have good benifits and stuff like that, or is that an Hourly rate for per-deim or part time.

This question has been posted before, but it seems like people aren't too quick to post their salaries.

I know an EMT-B in Westchester who makes $12/hr.

I found FDNY EMS salaries on their website:

Starting EMT-B salary: $27,295

Starting medic salary: $37,346

The salary seems to increase a bit each year of employment.

Wow I see FDNY has come a long way in pay back in 1990 I was making 22,600 under HHC as an emt. What a waste DC37 is (if they still are the union for them).

Ok, but does it have good benifits and stuff like that, or is that an Hourly rate for per-deim or part time.

Those rate are for full time EMT's with full medical & Dental benifits EMT can make about 50,000 a year there with out over time also its union.

Those rate are for full time EMT's with full medical & Dental benifits EMT can make about 50,000 a year there with out over time also its union.

I think I'm moving back to the bronx and applying to OLM!!!

It really depends on where you work.

Commercial EMS agencies tend to be the bottom of the barrel as far as pay goes I've heard as low as in the 7 dollar/hr range up to 15/hr top for EMTs, Medics probably start out anywhere from 10/hr and can max out in the 25ish/hr range.

Private Hospital based EMS tends to pay more. For example, a number of private hospitals in NYC pay their EMTs something like 20-24/hr starting salary.

FDNY pays EMTs like 17 something/hr but, they get uniformed status, pension, and other benefits (though i have heard they will eventually bump that rate up to something in or around the 20 dollar/hr).

If you work for a VAC your looking at anywhere from probably 9 - 15 an hour.

So, point in case is....your likely making an unlivable wage and have to work 2 and 3 jobs to keep your head above water...

Thats what I was looking for. So is that part time wages. Seeing that you have to work a few departments/jobs to make ends meet? Or are you killing yourself with hours also?

FDNY EMS

EMT first year 13.86 an hour with 1, 2, 3 and 5 year increases. After 5 years 20 an hour.

Medic first year 19 an hour with 1, 2, 3 and 5 year increases. After 5 years 25.50 an hour.

There is also meal money, 10% night differential, paid vacations, LODI, health insurance, prescription, dental, crap vision, 25 and out pension, and did I mention LODI. LODI is the single greatest difference between voluntary and FDNY units. How many EMTs and Medics do you know that haven't been seriously injured during a 10, 15 or 20+ year career? I don't know any.

Calhobs, things have changed a lot and more change is on the way. Now that we are bargaining independently of he civilian employees of DC37 we have been making progress. DC37 still doesn't do much for us (hence the crap vision and pain in the a** dental) but the local has some really good guys in charge right now.

Edited by ny10570

Thats what I was looking for. So is that part time wages. Seeing that you have to work a few departments/jobs to make ends meet? Or are you killing yourself with hours also?

OTW,

There ususally is no difference between part time and full time hourly wages, at least as far as i have experience.

Personally, i'm a full time student and work part-time at two EMS agencies (ones a VAC and ones a commercial). I only work 28 hours a week (Friday 16 and a Saturday 12) and an ocassional overnight if i can manage with school work and the girlfriend.

I would have to say that the vast majority of people in EMS work at least two jobs at two different agencies. Sometimes these are both commercial, sometimes its a combination of commercial and hopsital based or a combination of all three. It really depends. I even know some FFs who work commercial EMS as their B job.

As far as the hours worked, it all depends on your situation. Personally, i'm just skating by...i make enough to sustain myself on a bi-weekly basis, pay my bills and slowly start to pay off school loans and save a little for my masters. Many of those that have families are working insane hours. I know some people that are not home for 3-4 days at a time because they keep bouncing between jobs working 100+ hours a week and even then they struggel to put somthing away to save in the bank.

For most of us in EMS, we are not guarenteed a yearly income. It's about where you work and the hours you work.

Edited by Goose

OTW,

There ususally is no difference between part time and full time hourly wages, at least as far as i have experience.

Personally, i'm a full time student and work part-time at two EMS agencies (ones a VAC and ones a commercial). I only work 28 hours a week (Friday 16 and a Saturday 12) and an ocassional overnight if i can manage with school work and the girlfriend.

I would have to say that the vast majority of people in EMS work at least two jobs at two different agencies. Sometimes these are both commercial, sometimes its a combination of commercial and hopsital based or a combination of all three. It really depends. I even know some FFs who work commercial EMS as their B job.

As far as the hours worked, it all depends on your situation. Personally, i'm just skating by...i make enough to sustain myself on a bi-weekly basis, pay my bills and slowly start to pay off school loans and save a little for my masters. Many of those that have families are working insane hours. I know some people that are not home for 3-4 days at a time because they keep bouncing between jobs working 100+ hours a week and even then they struggel to put somthing away to save in the bank.

For most of us in EMS, we are not guarenteed a yearly income. It's about where you work and the hours you work.

Also, in addition to the pathetic hourly wages, there are many agencies that provide minimal benefits and there is no pension, no right to work (unless a union shop or civil service and those are rare).

FDNY EMS

EMT first year 13.86 an hour with 1, 2, 3 and 5 year increases. After 5 years 20 an hour.

Medic first year 19 an hour with 1, 2, 3 and 5 year increases. After 5 years 25.50 an hour.

There is also meal money, 10% night differential, paid vacations, LODI, health insurance, prescription, dental, crap vision, 25 and out pension, and did I mention LODI. LODI is the single greatest difference between voluntary and FDNY units. How many EMTs and Medics do you know that haven't been seriously injured during a 10, 15 or 20+ year career? I don't know any.

Calhobs, things have changed a lot and more change is on the way. Now that we are bargaining independently of he civilian employees of DC37 we have been making progress. DC37 still doesn't do much for us (hence the crap vision and pain in the a** dental) but the local has some really good guys in charge right now.

ny10570

glad things are getting better, and yes LODI is the best benfit you guys have never ever let them take that from you. As far as vision an dental goes it is crap basicly all over, I dont think any one really has a good plan. Good luck on your next few contracts guys. Hope for alot of good things to come

I work a part time BLS job for a VAC in Westchester and get $15.00 / hour.... No benefits except for a Christmas bonus ($250.00). I also work a per-diem Paramedic job in Manhattan (911) and get $27.50 / hour plus shift diff. pay.

Terrible. It's just disrespectful actually. You put in time at an agency, leave for a job where you make twice as much money but stick around as a per diem, pick up a bunch of last minute shifts and odd hours that the company couldn't fill with full timers. And then they decide to pay full time new hires a dollar more than you? When the fulltimer is also getting benefits and overtime and you're not, just straight time. And it's not even the first time, it happens to everyone there. I'm just glad I tricked them in to actually paying me out my vacation time when I left, they always find someway to screw people out of that also. Sorry, at my job I make triple on overtime then I would per-diem at Acme. Maybe when they merge with NDP I'll sign up for a shift, I've never been past Rhinebeck before....

Also, in addition to the pathetic hourly wages, there are many agencies that provide minimal benefits and there is no pension, no right to work (unless a union shop or civil service and those are rare).

Great point Chris. With no protection you could theoreticly get terminated for any reason under the sun.

Great point Chris. With no protection you could theoreticly get terminated for any reason under the sun.

NY is a right to work state. Your boss can fire you for no reason. If they give you a reason, they could be sued. Wrongfull termination. The sad part of all this is that if the commecrcials treated their employees well (pay, bennies, working conditions, etc.) they would have full staffing. In the Hudson Valley there are few agencies who would not hire any former EMS person who left/was fired from an other agency in a heartbeat unless they knew that person was fired for some really stupid thing.