Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Back Up Spotter Confirm Button

33 posts in this topic

Did any one ever think of UPS? I bet they back up 1000 times more than any ambulance too, 90% of the time they are driver alone and back up vehicles larger than an ambulance with no back windows, or any one backing up. They seem to get by using back up camara’s.

Having worked for UPS in the past, the drivers are taught not to back-up when ever possible. UPS realized along time ago that the highest number of accidents occurred when the vehicle is backing. While sometimes it is unavoidable, like at a loading dock, you will find they actually back up very little.

Backing up with mirrors is an art mastered by very few of the people who have to do it.....

to stand behind any emergency vehicle to push a button is an accident waiting to happen. With all the money that is spent on new rigs, they should included back up cameras and back up sensors. My "old 2000 Ford Windstar" mini van had a back up sensor that worked great and now I have a car with a back up camera and another with a camera and back up sensors.

With technology where it is today, ALL Vehicles should be equipped with these SAFETY features.

My agency just spent WELL over $100K on a new bus. I was told that they couldn't afford a backup camera. I am guessing that is because the thing looks like a christmas tree, is the size of an African elephant, and it has a massive airhorn onboard. Obviously, a camera is neither bright or loud, so it was cut. And it was explained to me by someone on the truck committee, "If you need a camera to back up, you shouldn't be driving". Also, keep in mind that this is a type-I ambulance that is MUCH larger than our previous large ambulance.

As long as you have the lowest common denominator designing your ambulances, you will be blinding oncoming traffic and backing over people. The problem is, the people with more ego than brains seem to outlast the rest of us. UPS doesn't have cameras because they have tens of thousands of trucks and it would cost millions and millions; ambulances don't have cameras because the people designing them have a cranial GI impaction. If only the cameras made noise or were shiny...

mfkap....sucks to be you. Then again, sucks to be us in Pleasantville too. Over $1 million for 2 engines, big increases in pump capacity, water, and storage but they wouldn't cough up a few hundred more for the camera. Instead we have an infrared safety brake that gets tripped at triple the set distance by reflective striping (its not like there's much of that around a scene or firehouse) Most guys just back-up holding the override button.

Edited by ny10570