Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

First Paramedics In Westchester County?

6 posts in this topic

I'm just curious, who was the FIRST agency to provide Advanced Life Support to a municipality in Westchester County?

If anyone knows more, how did that agency get the funding or convince the city council or whomever for the funding?

I'm just curious, who was the FIRST agency to provide Advanced Life Support to a municipality in Westchester County?

If anyone knows more, how did that agency get the funding or convince the city council or whomever for the funding?

I'm pretty sure it was Abbey Richmond in the City of White Plains...

I'm pretty sure it was Abbey Richmond in the City of White Plains...

I'm pretty sure that you're correct. I think they started in White Plains and expanded to other cities in the County before the competitive bid process started and the providers changed frequently.

AA may have been the next provider in the County and don't forget that the Yonkers PD ESU was originally a paramedic unit so they were among the first paramedics operating in the County.

When we knocked down the partitions at the old Abbey Richmond office at 255 Grove St. in W.P. we found a picture of the first class of paramedics to graduate from White Plains hospital. The only name I can remember is Bob Cuomo, currently Director of EMS in Putnam County. I wish I had held on to the picture!

Edited by Medic137

When we knocked down the patitions at the old Abbey Richmond office at 255 Grove St. in W.P. we found a picture of the first class of paramedics to graduate from White Plains hospital. The only name I can remember is Bob Cuomo, currently Director of EMS in Putnam County. I wish I had held on to the picture!

The first White Plains Hospital Paramedic class was a level 4 up-grade. Many of the first "medics" in Westchester were first AEMT-3 (300 hour class). White Plains Hospital ran one of the first, in the area, level 4 up-grades. Greenburgh P.D. was already running level 4 Paramedics.

Way before that the New Rochelle Hospital Ambulance Department ran a modified EMT-I service. There would be an "intern" that was assigned to ambulance duty, along with the other hospital duties/rounds. The hospital EMT's (back then they were MET's) would assist the intern with what ever had to be done.

EMS has come along way.

"If the walls at Abbey could talk".

"If the walls at Abbey could talk".

I think it's just as well that they are silent. :unsure: