Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jnb1335

A close call in Rockland

3 posts in this topic

Interesting Story.

Rockland County FTC has a Flashover Simulator, and they have had it for years. It's definetly an awesome tool, something every firefighter should experience....I don't understand why Westchester County does not have one still.

During the late 90's, I took most of my classes at the RFTC. That was during the "bad years" of the WCFTC. The classes, instructors, and equipment there are awesome. I had a oppurtunity to return there recently, and they are still way, way ahead of WCDES in many respects, as are many DES's. Sure, the entry level course situation has gotten better, but the continuing FF education has not gotten any better, or any more challenging IMO.

Seth, i definately hear where you're coming from with the RCFTC! I was just there 2 weeks ago for Fire Behavior/Arson Awareness & Fire Reporting Systems. I can't remember the last time WCFTC offered Fire Behavior/Arson Awareness. I actually bumped into a Chief from a lower Westchester Dept when i was there. He was attending Fire Attack-I i believe and he shared the same feelings about their facility! I find that Rockland not only offers a wider variety of courses, but their facility is far better as well. Their Instructors are excellent, always enthusiastic to teach, and always ready to talk outside of class if needed. I just feel they are more welcoming and just an overall pleasure to work with. I just want to say that these are just my personnal feelings & opinions, and i'm in no way knocking the WCFTC, as they to have excellent instructors, some of whom are my friends.

And yes, the flashover simulator is an excellent tool & i would encourage any FF to try and get into one of the courses over in Rockland. You will be in class for a couple of hours, going over flashover, what it is & how it occurs and safety concerns to take into consideration. After that...its baking time lol! The course can be a little pricey, so a Dept. may consider sending 5 or so guys over at one time, then send another group then next time. But its definately soemthing that all FF's should get into!

This article just goes to show that training means everything, and if not for their training, these guys may have been lost! Hats off to the Chief for recognizing the signs & pulling his guys out! Glad to hear they got out and it sounds as if they got out without injury.