Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
helicopper

Consolidation/Regionalization of Emergency Services

Consolidation/Regionalization Survey   142 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming that the administrative and financial organization is appropriate, would you support a countywide fire department organized into divisions under the administration and supervision of career management?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Same question for law enforcement. If properly organized and staffed, would you support a countywide PD outside the four major cities?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Finally, same thing for EMS. Would you support a countywide EMS system?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

Given all these discussions in other threads, I figured I start a survey to see what the real sentiment is. Before you answer, the premise for the survey is that the development of these regional services is based upon sound managerial and operational practices, the system is properly funded, mechanisms are established for volunteer components of the fire and EMS systems, and positions are eliminated only through attrition or reorganization - no layoffs.

What's your vote?

Countywide PD, Fire, EMS is the way to go. This is how things are done in Montgomery County, MD (where I grew up) - and while the system's certainly not perfect, it does work quite well.

Wow, the poll's even for Fire and Police, but EMS is a landslide so far! B)

Mike

Given all these discussions in other threads, I figured I start a survey to see what the real sentiment is. Before you answer, the premise for the survey is that the development of these regional services is based upon sound managerial and operational practices, the system is properly funded, mechanisms are established for volunteer components of the fire and EMS systems, and positions are eliminated only through attrition or reorganization - no layoffs.

What's your vote?

I support any regionalization but I don't see it happening with jobs being lost especially in the upper ranks of management.

In a perfect world, this would work. Once politics is involved, this, like many other good ideas, falls by the wayside....

Wow, that was quick, now everything's a landslide victory! :)

Mike

At the risk of supporting a concept that might very well put my company out of business, I have to go on record as being a supporter of consolidation at a minimum, and a countywide fire district at best. It would provide a standardized,timely response by fully manned units and save boatloads of cash for the taxpayers. Nobody loses. Senior management of existing departments could be eliminated over time through attrition, or through advancement or buyouts.

In a perfect world, this would work. Once politics is involved, this, like many other good ideas, falls by the wayside....

True enough, but with enough support, things do eventually gain traction and momentum. (Not to say that this will of course)

Had they truly made the effort to implement the proposals in the Westchester 2000 report that came out in the 80's, we might actually have SOME of this today. Of course, politics won out back then too.

We shall see!