Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
firemoose827

Advice for New Camera...Please!

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone. I got a new camera as a joint B-day/Christmas gift, and I am looking to start getting active with fire scene photography. I hope to start adding some action shots to the site, ( just need to find the action!) and was wondering what everyone thought of the camera I have. Its a Fuji Film Fine Pix 2700 digital camera with zoom lense, and a whole bunch of different settings to take pictures with, like frame stabilizer, which it tells me is good for action shots, and different lighting settings for a whole range of lighting challenges. Seems as if I need to take photography in college just to use the darn thing!!

Any advice for an amateur photographer? Any one have, or have heard of my type of camera? Anyone know of any good college level training for me to take!!!

Thanks all.

Moose

I can't seem to find anything online for a Fuji Film Fine Pix 2700.

Did you mean S-700?

In any case, here is a primer-site, that gets the basics: (there are TONS of sites)

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog...to-use-it-here/

Once you become more familiar with your camera, it will get easier for you to choose adjustments for different lighting conditions and to format the subject of your shot. You need to take lots of pictures and compare the results and effects the different settings produce.

For instance, night shots usually need an exposure or shutter speed adjustment, even on auto, to allow in more light.

Greatest thing is you just delete the ones you don't like!

Have fun, and enjoy the new camera!

Jack-

I can't seem to find anything online for a Fuji Film Fine Pix 2700.

Did you mean S-700?

In any case, here is a primer-site, that gets the basics: (there are TONS of sites)

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog...to-use-it-here/

Once you become more familiar with your camera, it will get easier for you to choose adjustments for different lighting conditions and to format the subject of your shot. You need to take lots of pictures and compare the results and effects the different settings produce.

For instance, night shots usually need an exposure or shutter speed adjustment, even on auto, to allow in more light.

Greatest thing is you just delete the ones you don't like!

Have fun, and enjoy the new camera!

Jack-

Thanks Brother! Yes, my bad, it is an S-700 7.1 megapixel camera, ( Whatever the hell the megapixel thing means is new to me!!) I have an extra memory card that holds like 1300 pictures, so I guess theres plenty of room to practise!!

Thanks for the link, I apreciate it!

Moose

Thanks Brother! Yes, my bad, it is an S-700 7.1 megapixel camera, ( Whatever the hell the megapixel thing means is new to me!!) I have an extra memory card that holds like 1300 pictures, so I guess theres plenty of room to practise!!

Thanks for the link, I apreciate it!

Moose

First word of advice: take pictures as max quality. Unless you have a (really) big card, you aren't going to be able to take 1300 pictures @ 7.1. You can transfer your pictures whenever you want so the max quality and max size are what you want. Second, go take a look at this review of your camera: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s700-review/ . In this review it gives you a lot of camera-specific details for using your camera. After that, take a LOT of pictures, of anything. Take 10 pictures of something, changing settings and recording what you did. Then put them on your computer and look at them print-size. Figure out what works. Photography is an art form. A lot of the learning is by doing.

Go out and take pictures...The only way you will learn is to take a bunch of shots. Play with the different settings in different light situations. If need to, go to Barnes and Nobles and pick-up a Photography for Dummies book.

Good Luck and I hope to see some of your work.

Edited by FFD941

Thanks for all of the advice, and especially the links. They were both usefull. Thanks brothers.

Hopefully, If I can catch a job Im not fighting, I will post some pictures here soon.

Thanks again.

Moose

I am in the same boat as the original poster. I got surprised with a "dig" for Christmas. Goes without saying that it wasn't even close to the one I would have wanted. It's a little dinky thing that fits in the palm of my hand. Doesn't even have a viewfinder!

Reading the book is confusing enough, but overall, it seems akin to learning how to take pics all over again. I wish it had been, at the very least, a low-end SLR. Then I'd only have to master the digital part.

The worst part of it is, the software isn't compatible with this antiquated POS computer. I've got a lead on a hand-me-down PC which should take care of that part (I hope!).

Oh well......at least I've got some time to practice and learn before wetdown season starts.