Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Pelham Fatal MVA 11/25 Discussion

22 posts in this topic

My thoughts and prayers and, those of the Pelham Manor Volunteer Fire Co. are with the Bauer, O'Boyle and Bachrach families in this tragedy. They were apparently on their way to the airport to take a trip to Hawaii.

Following is from News 12 :

Drunk driver blamed for crash on Hutchinson Pkwy. that killed one woman

(11/25/04) PELHAM - A four-car pile-up Thursday on the Hutchinson River Parkway has left one woman dead and investigators say a drunk driver is to blame.

Police have charged 25-year-old Peter Roshak of Yonkers with driving while intoxicated. According to authorities, Roshak was heading the wrong way on the southbound side of the Hutchinson Parkway near Sanford Boulevard at approximately 5 a.m.

Kevin Morehouse, who was involved in the crash, says at first he didn't realize what was coming towards him. When he finally understood the situation, he swerved and was sideswiped.

Taking the brunt of the crash was a livery cab carrying sisters-in-law Dorothy Bauer, 54, of Danbury, Connecticut and 61-year old Carolyn O'Boyle. Bauer died in the crash and O'Boyle may be paralyzed from the neck down. O'Boyle is listed in critical condition at Jacobi Medical Center. Livery cab driver Harry Bachrach, 57, of Brewster is also listed in critical condition at the same facility.

The parkway was shut down temporarily at Exit 9 while police investigated. Police were able to watch the accident as it unfolded thanks to a video camera that was installed in the livery cab.

The parkway was shut down temporarily at Exit 9 while police investigated. Police were able to watch the accident as it unfolded thanks to a video camera that was installed in the livery cab.

I love these things. And now here is perfect proof of why they are a handy tool to have. Caught on tape: Drunk Driver. Too bad he'll probably be driving again in a year. May he rot in a cell for a LONG time.

I love these things. And now here is perfect proof of why they are a handy tool to have. Caught on tape: Drunk Driver. Too bad he'll probably be driving again in a year. May he rot in a cell for a LONG time.

yeah A LONG LONG LONG TIME!!!

There's NO excuse. This guy ought to get life without parole!

Wait until it goes to trial, the dumba$$ will blame everyone but himself: the bar he was at, the liquor companies, the victims. People like him have a special place in hell, and as the friend of someone who was killed by a drunk driver, I certainly hope this guy finds himself burning.

I was at this accident. seems the guy was ghost driving and didn't

have his lights on. the other car was on its way to the airport. one of

the passangers died at the hospital.

as for apparatus there, there were 2 FDNY ladders, 3 FDNY engines, 1

FDNY sqaud engine(squad 41 i think, the one with the flag on the side.),

Pelham Manors E-1 and E-2. plus an assortment of County and town

police.

anyone know why FDNY was paged out before PMFD? when i arrived on

scene, FDNY was already up and running. could not have been more then 5 mins

from when the page went out to when i was on the Hutch.

even better, make it so that you drink you drive, you don't drive again.

even better, make it so that you drink you drive, you don't drive again.

Even Better-=-- You drink, you drive, you go to jail!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone think a Drunk Driver should be sentenced to death if they killed someone on the road, or should they just rot in jail?

Does anyone think a Drunk Driver should be sentenced to death if they killed someone on the road, or should they just rot in jail?

Rot in jail in permanent solitary confinement!!!!!!!!

They should be tortured for the horrific crime they have commited!

i think that they should stick these guys in a car and crash test dummy their asses. you know the ones in like every car commercial about safety. well this would be the "this is what happens when you don't wear a seat belt" one. i have not pity for low lifes like this. Everyone knows you should not drink and drive. jail would be to easy on him. i say they torture these people. something that fits the crime. like have them stand in the road and hit them with a car. maybe just stick them in a 4' by 4' cell and forget about them. set the box on fire. i have no idea. i am just sick about it. 9 times out of 10 the person who dies is not the drunk a$$hole who was driving. it's the innocent person who is just on their way to hawaii or the one who just had a great day with friends.

While vehicular homicide due to intoxication is a frequent occurance and is a tragedy every time it occurs, the capital punishment statutes in those states that have them often reserve them for the most heinous of crimes; sadly, driving while intoxicated and causing a vehicular homicide is not a heinous crime as proscribed by the statutes. Personally, I think death in this case is a tad bit too harsh, however, I do think that they should be incarcerated for a very long period of time.

As for FDNY, Squad 61 has the flag on the side of the truck. I'm guessing that FDNY might have been toned out before PMFD because of a quicker response time to such a serious accident, however, I could be wrong because I am unfamiliar with PMFD; are they fully staffed overnight?

If you ever listen to FDNY give out a call on a highway or parkway you will find out that most of the times the calls they get cover a large area. You can watch the CAD fill up with things like

FDR/42 - Trauma

FDR/34 - Arrest

FDR/23 - MVAINJ

FDR/Houston - Trauma

FDNY will have the units start at the far points and cross each other. units will go both directions and cover all the reported points. You could have the MVA under a sign and you still get 20 diffrent locations. This call may have been said to be in NYC and they just continued up the Parkway. FDNY has dual responses with Yonkers for the Bronx River but thats the only one I know

PMFD is staffed all 24/7. the fire house was maybe 1/4 of a mile away. it would take them less then 5 mins. to get there. It was strange that NY was sent first, not at same time. i would say that FDNY was sent at least 10 mins before. i say this cause the Manor fire house is pretty close to the hutch. the FDNY house's are in the bronx and not right on the Hutch. even at 3:30 in the morning pelham should have at lease got there at same time if not before. was just strange.

Hmm...maybe the accident was initially reported to be within NYC limits and the responding units continued into Westchester, like tbendick said.

This actually happens quite often on most of the highways. It also has to do with cell phone calls. Frequently, Yonkers will get runs onto the parkways, especially Saw Mill and Bronx River, and FDNY will already be there.

i heard an off duty nypd officer called the call in,possibly why then took the call in before any westchester depts.

While vehicular homicide due to intoxication is a frequent occurance and is a tragedy every time it occurs, the capital punishment statutes in those states that have them often reserve them for the most heinous of crimes; sadly, driving while intoxicated and causing a vehicular homicide is not a heinous crime as proscribed by the statutes. Personally, I think death in this case is a tad bit too harsh, however, I do think that they should be incarcerated for a very long period of time.

As for FDNY, Squad 61 has the flag on the side of the truck. I'm guessing that FDNY might have been toned out before PMFD because of a quicker response time to such a serious accident, however, I could be wrong because I am unfamiliar with PMFD; are they fully staffed overnight?

Unfortunately you're right DWI is not considered a heinous enough crime to warrant the death penalty,BUT IT DAMN WELL OUGHT TO BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man pleads not guilty in fatal crash

By JONATHAN BANDLER

jbandler@thejournalnews.com

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: March 8, 2005)

WHITE PLAINS — A man charged with manslaughter in the car-crash death of a 54-year-old Connecticut woman when he was driving the wrong way Thanksgiving morning on the Hutchinson River Parkway told police he had three beers before the accident, according to court records.

Peter Roshak, 25, of Yonkers, pleaded not guilty yesterday at his arraignment on an indictment charging him with second-degree manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter, criminally negligent homicide, second-degree assault and driving while intoxicated in the Nov. 24, accident in Pelham Manor.

According to authorities, Roshak was driving north in the southbound lanes between Sandford Boulevard and Boston Post Road early that morning when he hit two cars and then collided head-on with a limousine in which sisters Dorothy Bauer and Carolyn O'Boyle were passengers. Bauer suffered extensive internal injuries and died at Sound Shore Medical Center. O'Boyle, 61, remains hospitalized and is unable to walk as a result of her injuries.

The sisters were heading to Kennedy Airport for a flight to Hawaii, where they frequently vacationed.

According to court records, Roshak refused to take a blood-alcohol test at Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx after telling police that he was driving to his girlfriend's house and that he had three beers before driving that morning. Blood that hospital staff took from Roshak two hours after the accident was eventually tested based on a search warrant and registered a blood-alcohol level of 0.11 percent.

Westchester County Judge Joseph Alessandro allowed Roshak to remain free on the $25,000 bail that was set following his arrest after the crash. Roshak faces a maximum of five to 15 years in state prison on the most serious charge, second-degree manslaughter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

allowed Roshak to remain free on the $25,000 bail that was set following his arrest after the crash. Roshak faces a maximum of five to 15 years in state prison on the most serious charge, second-degree manslaughter.

thats a bunch of BS. keep that kid in jail for these murders.