Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaRock98

MVA's on the trunk system

13 posts in this topic

We are a fire based EMS system that on every MVA we roll an engine with an ambulance. Our engine calls into service on 60 A FIRE on the trunked system and and our Ambulance calls in on 60 B EMS. My question to all of you guys who have a fire based EMS sysytem and use the trunk radios is on MVAs does your engine switch to the B bank or does the ambulance switch to the A bank to talk to each other enroute? I know some of you might say thats what the fireground radio is for but for some reason the fireground radios have been removed from our ambulances once we went live on the trunked system and I don't think it makes much sense or is safe for the crew to be switching back and forth channels while you are enroute to an MVA. I think drivers and crews should be starting there size up and and thinking about the call they are enroute to instead of thinking about what channel they should be on.

i was told 60 has the ability to "patch" together differant banks and/or channels at the request of IC. never tried it myself, so im not sure of the validity of it.

if not, i guess one "company" can just change channels. since an MVA is a fire scene, you could have ems switch to Bank A, Fire Batt 11. i wouldn't try doing that unless a Chief or IC approves it.

i was told 60 has the ability to "patch" together differant banks and/or channels at the request of IC. never tried it myself, so im not sure of the validity of it.

if not, i guess one "company" can just change channels. since an MVA is a fire scene, you could have ems switch to Bank A, Fire Batt 11. i wouldn't try doing that unless a Chief or IC approves it.

I thought one of the benefits of trunking was the ability for dispatch to create incident specific talkgroups so you could put everyone (police, fire, EMS, DOT, tow trucks, etc - in an ideal world) on the same group so we can all communicate effectively?

Did we go a different route?

I thought one of the benefits of trunking was the ability for dispatch to create incident specific talkgroups so you could put everyone (police, fire, EMS, DOT, tow trucks, etc - in an ideal world) on the same group so we can all communicate effectively?

Did we go a different route?

but is that by manually changing the channel or being "patched" together? i think you response and my response are along the same line, correct me if im wrong...

You do know that the County Trunk System has the FG channels programed into it. That's what Bank C is for. FG's 1-8 (With the option of add 9 other UHF channel) Now the only thing that i see wrong with that is if 60 is trying to call ether you or your other rig responding, and your on the FG. Like they said in the training class "it's a more hands on kinda radio, not your press a button and your on the channel. I hope this helps you...

Edited by DOC22

Yes I do know that the C bank has fireground channels on it but I dont know maybe I'm making a big deal out of nothing but with all this new technology we have today I feel like there should be a simpler solution rather then switching back and forth from bank to bank. I never knew that the banks could be "patched" that sounds interesting and much easier then switching from one channel to another. So I guess my next question is does anyone know if there is any truth to this?? maybe some of the people at the WCDES on here would know more about this??

Im pretty sure if you tell the county, they will patch the two channels together on that alarm. When we First activated the trunk system, we had a MVA and I remember hearing the ambulance and the medic arrive on scene via the radio. Then again, thats the only time I ever heard it, and maybe I was just hearing things.

Based on what I saw from the Trunked screen that 60 Control has, they do have the capability to patch any of the EMS or FIRE banks/battalions together, in just about any configuration that your IC wants.

As for your discussion topic, I believe your department needs to establish it's own run protocol.

For ease and simplicity, on the MVA run you describe, just have your EMS switch to FIRE before leaving quarters, and remain on that bank for the duration of the call. Once on the scene or while enroute to the hospital, they can switch over, if necessary.

60 Control dispatchers have enough going on without having to worry about who gets what patch configuration for which runs.

I think using Fireground channels should be out of the picture during a response since it's only a low-power channel, or for backup emergency use, if the trunk system is down.

60 Control dispatchers have enough going on without having to worry about who gets what patch configuration for which runs.

good point, we sometimes forget the dispatchers might have it harder than the guys on scene

This sounds more like an interagency coordination thing then anything else. That is why there are also other trunked channels that only the units can hear, being its not monitored by county control so you are not flooding them with info they do not need to hear. As someone pointed out, they are also there for you to assist you with understanding the system and also what will help them as well with their duties. Give them a call.

Based on what I saw from the Trunked screen that 60 Control has, they do have the capability to patch any of the EMS or FIRE banks/battalions together, in just about any configuration that your IC wants.

As for your discussion topic, I believe your department needs to establish it's own run protocol.

For ease and simplicity, on the MVA run you describe, just have your EMS switch to FIRE before leaving quarters, and remain on that bank for the duration of the call. Once on the scene or while enroute to the hospital, they can switch over, if necessary.

I think using Fireground channels should be out of the picture during a response since it's only a low-power channel, or for backup emergency use, if the trunk system is down.

All true, all good points. BUT! :P

Seriously, though. For a major incident, the standard practice should be to tie units/agencies/frequencies together for ease of communications rather than have 20-30 resources all trying to find the right frequency while responding or operating. At a simple car accident, YES, you can have the 2-3 resources change to a common channel.

Don't forget that Liberty Lines is on the trunked system too. When you call for a bus for rehab/evacuation, they should be able to come up on a trunked frequency so you can direct them and maintain accountability of requested resources. That's the beauty of a trunked system. I saw it in operation in Florida - they had the system all figured out. EVERY AGENCY in the county was on it so if you needed FD, PD, EMS, DOT, Bus all at the same scene, they would all be placed in the same talkgroup for the duration of the incident. It was pretty impressive!

Unfortunately, having one agency work on separate channel is just not workable, we tried it. In Briarcliff, we have our own system, one for fire and one for ems. We had ems use there channel except when it was an mva, then they operated on fire. The reverse occurred when fire would go for an ems assist. It just became more confusing to many, where they just did not change channels. Now all operate on our fire channel and use the ems as a secondary or back up channel. Must better now

FWIW - Stamford tries to put those calls on a "MEDTAC" talkgroup. I've never found anyone on there. Why? Who knows.