Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cas2383

Random Metro North train question

9 posts in this topic

Does anyone know what the tracks are used for that merge with the Metro North tracks in New Rochelle? Im pretty sure they go down thru the Bronx towards E Tremont someplace but have never seen any trains go down it. Are these the tracks for the new Yankee Stadium stop? Amtrak? Out of service?

Thanks,

Chris

Amtrak for its Northeast corridor trains.

I believe this track leads to the Hell's Gate Bridge, and give Amtrak access into Penn Station. Also use when Metro North has to send M7s out to Long Island for warranty service from Bombardier, which has a servic facility in Long Island City(near Hunterspoint).

Amtrak for its Northeast corridor trains.

Yep. The track split is where Amtrak diverges from the New Haven Line on its Northeast Corridor Line, originally the Harlem River Line of the New York, New Haven, and Hartford over the Hellgate Bridge and onto the New York Connecting Railroad in Queens.

The New Haven Line continues to Woodlawn Junction where it joins with the Harlem Line (formerly of the New York Central), stopping at Pelham and Mount Vernon East on the way.

-Joe DA BUFF

Amtrak splits off just south of New Ro, heads out into the Pelham Bay area, then follows E. Tremont and the Bruckner, crosses The Rock (Randall's Island) to the Hell Gate Bridge- where is crosses into Queens, loops around to the Southwest through the Sunnyside Yards and then travels under the East River just South of the Queens-Midtown Tunnel and runs into Penn Station.

So why can't the new haven line go into Penn? I'm guessing these lines are not electrified?

So why can't the new haven line go into Penn? I'm guessing these lines are not electrified?

Amtrak's lines are electrified by overhead wires just like the NH line, but the voltage is different so our older cars cannot run under those wires. Also, NH trains can't run on the third rail in Penn Station because the LIRR third rail shoe runs over the third rail, where the NH shoe runs under. The new M8's should be able to run on Amtrak's power system but who knows if there will ever be service to Penn via Metro North.

It is also CSX freight. They run over the Hell Gate from Queens and follow those tracks. There is also a rail yard in Oak Point. The freight lines are diesel and Amtrak runs catenary. Actually, had a guy struck by a train over there last week.

I pass over these tracks and drive along them on my way into work every day.

Even with the new M8s in a few years, there is no room in Penn Station for any more trains, all slots are full with LIRR, Amtrak, and NJ Transit.