Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hudson144

Bear Mountain Parkway: How About Some Center Dividers?

11 posts in this topic

How many more lives is it going to take before NYS DOT realizes that this road is a death trap! It took several fatal accidents over the years for them to put the dividers up from annsville circle all the way down into mt pleasant near the county police barracks. The corrider from the rte 9/ 9A split south used to be terrible. Come on NYS DOT wake the hell up. Our familys frequent these roads.

Down here in FL about 4 years ago, it took about 9 deaths in 4 days for FDOT to realize that I-4 was the same way between daytona and Orlando. Cars going 80+ mph with no divider and a grass strip between is never a good combination. There is now a divider up on the east bound inner shoulder only now.

I'm surprised that this was never addressed when Pataki was Governor.

I do belive it there was talk .but it went in one ear and out the other

according to the Town Of Cortlandt Supervisors office letters have been written to NYS DOT addressing the hazards and the DOT feels that the roadway did not warant the dividers. I guess the person in charge for the DOT needs more fatalities to occur! Remember the days of 9A hill, or the stretch from the croton river bridge down to the old Hawthorne circle when the hazards were similiar to the BMP or the stetch from welcher ave to annsville circle where I knew 4 people killed on that stretch. Come on NYS DOT do the right thing!

according to the Town Of Cortlandt Supervisors office letters have been written to NYS DOT addressing the hazards and the DOT feels that the roadway did not warant the dividers. I guess the person in charge for the DOT needs more fatalities to occur! Remember the days of 9A hill, or the stretch from the croton river bridge down to the old Hawthorne circle when the hazards were similiar to the BMP or the stetch from welcher ave to annsville circle where I knew 4 people killed on that stretch. Come on NYS DOT do the right thing!

This issue of median barriers has always been an uphill battle with NYS DOT. You should have been around back in the late 1960's when the AAA Club was campaigning to get barriers on the Cross Westchester Expwy, which orginally had just a grass strip about a lane wide. Ditto for the stretch of N.Y. Thruway from the Tappan Zee Bridge south to Yonkers. And the Taconic Pkwy. older sections had no divider at all, but finally got box-beam barrier. All done between 1967-1970, after enough crossover accidents got DOT's attention...................sigh.

I hate driving the BMP, it's awful.

People speed all up and down that road, not realizing it has a few dips, slants and turns. It needs SOMETHING, too many lives lost on that road.

I do have to say...at least they put up a "NO Left Turn" sign from Locust Ave onto the BMP...like people actually pay attention to it! This for years was the worst section. Even a box & rail style would keep people on their side like on the SMRP...unless they just get on in the wrong direction! OOPs! I even think Rte. 6 between the BMP and Lexington should have 1...too many times do I get cut off by someone ignoring the excellent (right) signage!

This road should have a center guardrail the whole length.

If nothing else, they need to lose the entrance from Highland avenue heading westbound. I have had more than one "panic stop" with people pulling out to go west, right in front of me. There is only about 150 feet of sight distance, coming around a slight bend plus the overpass abutments block the view of oncoming traffic.

This road should have a center guardrail the whole length.

If nothing else, they need to lose the entrance from Highland avenue heading westbound. I have had more than one "panic stop" with people pulling out to go west, right in front of me. There is only about 150 feet of sight distance, coming around a slight bend plus the overpass abutments block the view of oncoming traffic.

Yeah, that is the CRAZIEST on ramp that I know of!!!! Crossing traffic travelling 55+ to enter traffic travelling 55+ that doesn't know you just pulled out because it is an antique bridge...the type with a "cornerstone"!!! I don't know how many times I have come over that bridge and said "Oh Crap!". I have developed a sense of slowing down though...almost to 30 when I get to that point...makes it a little less dramatic!