Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

The Two Hosebeds Of Yonkers FD Engines

17 posts in this topic

Yonkers FD Engine Companies have two different layouts now, one for companies with the standard Yonkers Hose bed layout, and the companies with LDH. Maybe someone could explain this further, I just thought showing the two comparison photos would interest some.

post-11-1202318337.jpg

post-11-1202318349.jpg

Unlike the rest of the county, my knowledge of YFD is very limited.

If I had to offer a guess, the beds with 3 inch are for rigs that are located in more "city" style neighborhoods (split lay where hydrants are close together) where the LDH rigs are located in more residential areas of the city where layouts might be longer.

Feel free to slap me down if I'm way off... I can take it.

The hose on the side steps, are they hose packs or preconnects?

I would tend to agree with MFC, cause I have no knowledge of YFD either but his point makes some sense. Unless they are switching all trucks over a little at a time to LDH?

Have seen some jobs in yonkers, seems they lay dual 3 1/2 from hydrant to fire and use preconnects to reach fire. Maybe trying to eliminate duals and use ldh to supply. Just a thought, i think the hydrant system is adequate for them but maybe a yonkers fd member can add to this.

The hose on the side steps, are they hose packs or preconnects?

I would tend to agree with MFC, cause I have no knowledge of YFD either but his point makes some sense. Unless they are switching all trucks over a little at a time to LDH?

- The hose on the fenderwells are both:

Usually 4-Lengths of 1-3/4" Standpipe packs (or as we call them- "Donuts") which go with the standpipe bag on the Drivers side.......

The Officer side usually is 3-lengths of 1-3/4" pre-connect..............

Usually 4-Lengths of 1-3/4" Standpipe packs (or as we call them- "Donuts") which go with the standpipe bag on the Drivers side.......

Thanks brother. That looks nice to have. Is it easy to deploy or do you find some difficulties with that style load?

Hey R1SE, do you guys ever or do you have the option of using 2 1/2'' Donuts for Standpipe Jobs or is 1 3/4'' all you carry? Just curious.

Hey R1SE, do you guys ever or do you have the option of using 2 1/2'' Donuts for Standpipe Jobs or is 1 3/4'' all you carry? Just curious.

We carry the 1-3/4" lengths, which actually get hooked via the standpipe to a short (6') length of 2-1/2" with a gated Y (2-1/2 X (2)1-3/4) , in the standpipe bag.

We carry the 1-3/4" lengths, which actually get hooked via the standpipe to a short (6') length of 2-1/2" with a gated Y (2-1/2 X (2)1-3/4) , in the standpipe bag.

Thanks bro. Be careful of that gated Y THOUGH. I was told of an incident once where a memebr of a Dept. either tripped or crawled over the same setup in a smoke filled hallway, resulting in the gate for the attack line on the Y being shut down, jamming some members up. I could see it happening.

Thanks bro. Be careful of that gated Y THOUGH. I was told of an incident once where a memebr of a Dept. either tripped or crawled over the same setup in a smoke filled hallway, resulting in the gate for the attack line on the Y being shut down, jamming some members up. I could see it happening.

Seen it happen too !

Are the water tanks on those engines L-tanks or Stanard T-tanks?

Question to R1Smokeater why does Yonkers not use 2 1/2 of standpipes, is it a manpower issue. Many buildings are on high ground subject to wind and so on. After Brothers dieing FDNY made it nearly impossible to use 1 3/4 on standpipe ops. There are a few exceptions but not many. Yonkers is an agressive department just curious as to why no 2 1/2

Moose, thats a pretty common place for standpipe packs. Works real well for depts that use them frequently. 1 3/4 off the side is a great trash line for rubbish fires and the like.

Question to R1Smokeater why does Yonkers not use 2 1/2 of standpipes, is it a manpower issue. Many buildings are on high ground subject to wind and so on. After Brothers dieing FDNY made it nearly impossible to use 1 3/4 on standpipe ops. There are a few exceptions but not many. Yonkers is an agressive department just curious as to why no 2 1/2

It is a manpower issue. With 1 Officer/3 FF's on an Engine, the Officer and 2 FF's go inside with the pump operator staying at the rig.

We carry 3 or 4 50' lengths of hose inside with the standpipe kit. 2 1/2" is heavy. We have tried single-jacketed 100' sections of 2" hose (after conferring with New Rochelle FD who uses it) and will probably go that way.

About the LDH:

E307, E309, E312 and SQ11 have one bed of 5" and the remaining Engines have dual beds of 3" supply hose. (We have a Spare Engine outfitted with LDH also.) There is no present plan to equip other apparatus with 5" hose. The LDH Engines are geographically dispersed so we usually get one on each alarm or can easily S/C one if needed.

Chief, that looks like a lot of 5" - how much is it?

I was listening to the 2nd Alarm last week on Curtis and heard B1 telling E307 to get ready to drop the LDH. Have you guys noticed any advantages / disadvantages to using the 5" as opposed to the 3"? We use 5" as supply with 2 1/2" as a backup (if needed).

Thanks.

Actually, the other supply hose is 3-1/2". The Engine wraps a hydrant with (2) 3-1/2"'s one of which is gated at the hydrant connection.

post-182-1203437615.jpg

Edited by R1SmokeEater

Actually, the other supply hose is 3-1/2". The Engine wraps a hydrant with (2) 3-1/2"'s one of which is gated at the hydrant connection.

I was gonna say that looked a little big to be 3"...