Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FFD941

Drag Rescue Device Saftey Concerns

16 posts in this topic

This was an e-mail I just recieved this evening and thought it would be beneficial to pass along...This is why we train!!

To All:

At a training session last evening, one of the firefighters was performing a wall breach maneuver when his DRD got caught on a sheet rock nail. As he worked his way through the wall maneuver, the device deployed fully as you can see in the pictures. Due to the way it deployed and the tension created on his upper body from the strap under his arms, movement was limited and he was unable to reach the strap to free himself. Even by attempting to go back through the wall he was unable to get the strap free due to the fact that the head of the nail had worked its way into the weaving of the strap material. This was definitely an educational experience for all involved. Please pass this information along and Be Safe.

Kevin W. Ritton

Assistant Emergency Services Coordinator-Otsego County

Phone 607-547-4226 Fax 607-547-4377

post-3499-1202441486.jpg

Well, thank god it was a drill. I wonder if his gear had the protective flap over it.

That was an awesome post. I NEVER thought of that happening. As we see, anything is possible. In training members in the use of the drag rescue device, I will certainly include that in the lesson plan.

Ya beat me to posting this FFD941!!!!

Definitely an interesting incident, which I never really considered happening before, but then again, getting hooked on anything hanging off your gear is a harsh reality, but the device for FF safety never crossed my mind as presenting a threat at all!!!

Well, thank god it was a drill. I wonder if his gear had the protective flap over it.

from the 4th picture it looks like there is a small rectangular flap that is covering where the strap is coming from.

there are two things to be said. 1. I know Kevin on a professional level so he would have not sent this out without feeling it truly important 2. however, we do not know what it was like when it they started the drill. I was made aware of another "incident" last month were an instructor asked a classroom member to grab his gear so they could demonstrate the the DRD. The DRD nearly pulled right out. The gear had been laundered and not not put back together correctly. I feel that this incident reinforces that your gear needs to be paid attention too. The DRD in these pictures could have been stowed 100% under the cover if so chosen. This incident brings alot to light ranging from our own user error, design, lack of knowledge, so on. In fact I bet there are people looking at this and are saying what the hell is that? A DRwhat? I don't think anyone should get over critical, just take it for what it is and what this site should be a place for learning. The title could say "Always control SCBA with the Airline Side". I thank Kevin for getting this out there but we must determine what we take out of it. Be safe & good luck.

Thanks to the brother who shared this info and it is something that I've had a simliar incident with while running a student through mask confidence but they didn't get hung up on it badly it just deployed and stayed out. I will be putting this into my FF survival presentation and all other pertinent presentations to get it out there.

Also reminds me of the info passed along about the hang up hazards of the eagle on morning pride helmets.

Is Globe the only company that makes DRD ?

Is Globe the only company that makes DRD ?

No. The DRD is now part of an NFPA standard, NFPA 1851. The DRD is manufactured on all gear.

NFPA 1851