Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Donald J. McCartney, Retired NYPD

8 posts in this topic

MCCARTNEY, DONALD J

February 08, 2008

Donald J. McCartney of Yorktown Heights, passed away on Tuesday, February 5, after a brief illness. He was surrounded by his family at the time of his death. Don was born on June 30, 1935 in the Bronx to the late Michael and Elizabeth McCartney. He graduated in 1953 from Cardinal Hayes High school in the Bronx and began employment at the Brooklyn Navy yard, where he worked on various projects, including the modernization of the USS Intrepid. During his time at the Navy Yard, he survived one of many devastating fires that plagued the shipbuilders. From 1957 to 1960, Don proudly served his country as a member of the U.S. Army. Upon completion of his tour of duty, he returned to the U.S. and joined the New York City Police Department, where he worked for 20 years. During his tenure in the NYPD, he was assigned to Motorcycle Precinct #4, and was one of the last members of the elite "Red Patches." When those precincts were dissolved into the current New York City Highway units, he was assigned to Highway Precinct #1, where he remained until his retirement in 1981. He then began his second career with the U.S. Mint Police at West Point, NY where he reached the rank of Detective. In 2001, he formally retired and enjoyed his free time with family and friends, as well as going to the gym, hiking, and taking long road trips on his Harley-Davidson motorcycle. Don was a member of several fraternal organizations, including the Knights of Columbus and the Fraternal Order of Police. He has touched every person he has known and he will always be loved and missed dearly by all. Don is survived by his wife Corina whom he married in 1962, his two sons and their wives, Keith (Kristin) and Christopher (Gia), and two granddaughters, Kailey and Elizabeth. He is also survived by his brother Michael of the Bronx, NY, his sister Clara Krejsa of Maywood, NJ, and many nieces, nephews, cousins and dear friends.

Calling hours are Saturday and Sunday 2-4 pm and 7-9 pm at Clark Funeral Home, 2104 Saw Mill River Rd. (Rts. 35, 118 & 202), Yorktown Heights, NY.

A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Church in Shrub Oak on Monday, February 11 at 10 am. Burial will follow at Saint Denis Church/Cemetery in Hopewell Junction, NY. In lieu of flowers, the family asks you to donate to the ARDS Foundation at www. ardsusa.com.

Donald J. McCartney is the Father of Westchester County Police Officer Keith McCartney

Before Keith joined WCPD he was a Dispatcher at 60-Control "624"

R.I.P. My prayers to the family.

Condolence to Keith and the entire McCartney family. Sounds like Donald lived a rich and fufilling life. I only know Keith, but from reading the article above, a lot of his father's spirit shines through in him.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Thoughts and prayers to the entire family

Thoughts and prayers to Keith and the entire McCartney family

My condolences to the McCartney family, especially Keith.

Thoughts, Prayers and Condolences to Kieth and your Family. Take comfort in knowing Don is in a better place now.

Having the pleasure of knowing the entire McCartney family and long time friend of Keith's

I can tell you that his Father was a great guy.

He always made you laugh.

RIP DON