jack10562

TO: All Users of SCOTT AV-3000® Facepieces

8 posts in this topic

SOME USERS OF AV-3000 FACEPIECES HAVE REPORTED SEPARATION OF THE HEAD HARNESS

FROM THE FACEPIECE AT THE RUBBER ATTACHMENT TAB. SEPARATION OF THE TAB MAY

RESULT IN EXPOSING THE USER TO THE ATMOSPHERE THE RESPIRATOR WAS INTENDED TO

PROTECT THE USER AGAINST.

SCOTT Technical Bulletin Attached. HS6678010808.pdf

Special Thanks to a BMFD colleague, for this notice.

The other day at a drill, i was using one of those masks even though i don't like them, an i couldn't get a good seal on the mask, in a sense i was loosing more than using and that probably why. The other model is the greatest mask ever.

This happened to me the first time I put on an AV-3000 mask, one of the head hardness straps broke off from the rubber attachment tab. The attachment for the head harness on the AV-3000 masks is horrible and poorly designed. There was nothing wrong with the attachment on the AV-2000 mask, but for some reason (cost) they decided to change a good design into a poor design. The AV-2000 attachment is connected directly into the strong plastic of the face piece where as the AV-3000 attachment is connected to the much weaker rubber. It is sad that Scott is willing to sacrifice function and safety just to save a few bucks.

This happened to me the first time I put on an AV-3000 mask, one of the head hardness straps broke off from the rubber attachment tab. The attachment for the head harness on the AV-3000 masks is horrible and poorly designed. There was nothing wrong with the attachment on the AV-2000 mask, but for some reason (cost) they decided to change a good design into a poor design. The AV-2000 attachment is connected directly into the strong plastic of the face piece where as the AV-3000 attachment is connected to the much weaker rubber. It is sad that Scott is willing to sacrifice function and safety just to save a few bucks.

The interesting thing about the technical bulletin is that It addresses IMPROPER " Donning Issues " that generate the force to break the faceseal tab. If you are donning the facepiece correctly then this should not be a problem. If you think they are trying to save few bucks, What do you think it cost them for a NIOSH investigation into this suspected problem! The AV-2000 and ALL SCBA Face masks have the same problem when improperly donned. The AV-3000 was introduced and designed at the request of the Fire Departments mainly out west. The very same departments that were having these supected issues. If you have any onther questions, please feel free to pm me. Stay Safe

Edited by msm232

The attachment for the head harness on the AV-3000 masks is horrible and poorly designed. There was nothing wrong with the attachment on the AV-2000 mask, but for some reason (cost) they decided to change a good design into a poor design.

Sounds Like A Good Theory - If It Ain't Broke - Fix It Until It Is!!!!!!!

The interesting thing about the technical bulletin is that It addresses IMPROPER " Donning Issues " that generate the force to break the faceseal tab. If you are donning the facepiece correctly then this should not be a problem. If you think they are trying to save few bucks, What do you think it cost them for a NIOSH investigation into this suspected problem! The AV-2000 and ALL SCBA Face masks have the same problem when improperly donned. The AV-3000 was introduced and designed at the request of the Fire Departments mainly out west. The very same departments that were having these supected issues. If you have any onther questions, please feel free to pm me. Stay Safe

When donning the mask I donned it like I had with any AV-2000 mask, was this wrong maybe, but I still haven't been instructed otherwise.

The fact is that the attachment between the head harness and the AV-2000 mask has a much higher tensile strength since it is a rigid connection. The head harness connection on the AV-3000 mask has a much lower strength since it is connected into an elastomer. A product that firefighters use needs to have a high safety factor, in the heat of the moment the mask may not be donned exactly to the directions even if they have all of the proper training and know the proper techniques. Scott either didn't care (which I don't think is the case) or the failed to properly test their product and make the appropriate modifications to the design. Even if the mask is not donned properly, Scott can and should have accounted for this, with proper testing this problem should have come up.

The reason why I say they are trying to save money is that it is much cheaper to mold one piece that can do multiple functions instead of having to add more parts into the assembly of the mask. With the head harness being attached to the rubber face seal, Scott no longer has to worry about the rivets, the holes for the rivets or any other part of that subassembly.

I have nothing against Scott and I think that they are a great company, but every once in a while something slips through the cracks. No person or thing is perfect.

Edited by Porsha911gt3

Then they should make the mask firefighter proof. You are admitting that they know that the masks are going to be donned improperly so why make the mask prone to failure? This is the same manufacturer's CYA for every make and model of every widget: "improper use may result in failure". Remember the first MSA MMR's? If you didn't don the regulator "correctly" ensuring it clicked in, it would pop out! They since corrected this as it was prone to improper donning. Scott makes a great product line and I trust their SCBA completely, but their not infallible. BTW, I hate the 3000 mask as well. In fact I much prefer the older pre-air 50 packs with the kevlar straps and the AV 2000 mask. But as long as its a 4.5 it'll work!

I have to agree you must make things firefighter proof. If you are going into a fire I don't think you are gonna take the time to make sure you pull your straps a certain way. That's nonsense. Any which way you pull your straps they should not rip away from the facepiece. SCOTT should put a recall on these masks for our safety and fix the problem, not place the blame on the firefighter.