Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SRS131EMTFF

An Island’s Fire Truck, Idle for Years, Goes Quickly on the Web

11 posts in this topic

February 12, 2008

An Island’s Fire Truck, Idle for Years, Goes Quickly on the Web

By PATRICK McGEEHAN

The red fire engine with the 100-foot-long extendable arm was called Super Truck. Left behind by the Coast Guard a decade ago, it sat on Governors Island in New York Harbor, unwanted by the firefighters stationed there and unavailable to others who coveted it from afar.

Full Story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/12/nyregion...amp;oref=slogin

post-3705-1202920784.jpg

Edited by jack10562
Copyright notice

Isn't that techically part of the FDNY fleet?

What are they going to use for aerial protection now?

And that seems like quite a bargain for a '93 Pierce 100' Tower that's been barely used. $75,000?? That's a little ridiculously low in my eyes. Especially that it appears in excellent condition and has a pump.

75k is a very fair price. It comes as is and where is. They aren't driving it home.

It is a good price, but, having sat idle for so long it may cause some issues later with parts being frail, we had a second hand pumper that hadn't been used for 2 years and it had a number of problems due to parts that had sat idle breaking, its alright now, but it can be a problem.

Sittilg idle, seals dry out. That alone my cause serious problems.

Are they going to auction off the two pumpers as well, or do they still have them? (The ones they got from the Coast Guard)

I for one am glad to see a department in need of an affordable replacement truck, and a beautifully built and functional unit that has been long neglected, "matched up" this way. Fire apparatus is made to be used for the purpose it was designed for and not to sit around unused and unappreciated.

Hopefully, this New Jersey department will be able to work out the logistics of acquiring this rig and the probable bugs that will need to be fixed so that they can operate this unit for many years to come.

I for one am glad to see a department in need of an affordable replacement truck, and a beautifully built and functional unit that has been long neglected, "matched up" this way. Fire apparatus is made to be used for the purpose it was designed for and not to sit around unused and unappreciated.

Hopefully, this New Jersey department will be able to work out the logistics of acquiring this rig and the probable bugs that will need to be fixed so that they can operate this unit for many years to come.

Just a quick correction, it is a fire department in PA outside of Lancaster.

Fourteen years subject to salt air on all sides of the Island must be taken into account. :blink:

I got a kick out of this line....

He punched “aerial truck for sale” into Google and up popped the Craigslist ad for the Governors Island engine.
...although I guess it does have a pump...

They are not part of the FDNY fleet.

This was a Federal Fire Department which is no longer there.

The FDNY mans a make shift company out there now and has to wait for additional units via ferry.